HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer

by jobtraklite / March 13, 2008 4:16 AM PDT

An old question that has been asked and answered many times, but with a kicker

SCENARIO: I want to install a Seagate Barracuda (ultra) ATA V 120 GB 7200 RPM hard drive from a Medion MD1100 windows XP machine, whose motherboard died, into a generic Windows 98, 2nd Ed. machine with two IDE/ATA connectors on the motherboard, in order to recover the data.

THE KICKER: the Seagate Barracuda was partitioned into 3 partitions. C: contained Windows, applications, and data; D: contained a backup of all the data I want to recover; and E: was used by the Windows recover feature.

RESULTS: I've installed the Seagate every which way, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave, and even primary master. In every case the system recognized the drive as expected; and with the exception of the last case (which of course Windows XP didn't like), only the "RECOVER" partion shows up in "My Computer" as DRIVE D:

QUESTION: Is there any way to make either the original C: OR D: partitions available?

FACTOID: when I do a "properties" on both the C: (existing) and D: (recently installed) drives, I see that both file systems are FAT32. I can't be sure, but I suspect it was NTFS on the old failed XP system.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely the old drive ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 13, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

was formatted with the NTFS file system. Windows 98 cannot read an NTFS file system without third party software.

Paragon has such (runs $79.00):
http://www.mount-everything.com/ntfsw/

Brothersoft offers diskinternals free NTFS reader:
http://www.brothersoft.com/diskinternals-ntfs-reader-31424.html

Avira offers NTFS4DOS (free for non-commercial use):
http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/11/avira_ntfs4dos_personal.html

An even better solution is to take advantage of a Linux Live CD to boot the system then read the NTFS partitions and write the data to USB or the Win 9x harddrive. Knoppix is always a good choice and here is a link that pretty much steps you through using it for recovering data.
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Collapse -
Clarification
by jobtraklite / March 13, 2008 9:50 AM PDT

Can I assume from your answer that if I install the NTFS drive in a Windows XP Professional system, I will be able to see all partitions. If so, you've solved my problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Collapse -
Visible
by dhrwfan / March 13, 2008 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

Can I assume from your answer that if I install the NTFS drive in a Windows XP Professional system, I will be able to see all partitions. If so, you've solved my problem.

Some partitions still may not be visible.

I always find the partition not showing and change it's setting from "hide" to "unhide{visible}" and then you see it in "My Computer".

Collapse -
Getting data
by Willy / March 13, 2008 9:49 PM PDT

IMHO, because, you're running a win98 based system it won't see the XP(NTFS) based one plus having multiple partitions doesn't help. You're best bet is having access to a XP based system then trying to get the data. If for the sake of last resort, use an ext. USB HD case to mount old HD, then again under a XP based system to access data that way. Under XP, you may have to claim ownership under XP's disk management to access the HD. I wouldn't trust any win98 results for HD properties as it can't see properly because it doesn't know about NTFS and may report false. Leave win98 out of it and go XP.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.