PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Installing new RAM causes Boot loop

I recently had a custom desktop built. Everything was running fine with the original build. I realized that I under-ordered the amount of RAM needed and so I ordered 2GB more (2x 1 Gig sticks). I made sure to get the exact same RAM that was originally in the desktop. I didn't orginally think this would be a big deal since I have put RAM into another desktop and a laptop with zero problems whatsoever. However I am running into some issues with this. I installed the 2 1 Gig sticks of RAM into the computer (making 3GB total) and booted up. At first I got three beeps and nothing happened. I looked inside and pressed a little more and heard a click and realized that one of the sticks wasn't quite all the way in. I restarted the computer and everything seemed ok. The computer started to go through the boot-up process. I got a message saying that Windows XP wasn't properly shut down. So I said start Windows normally.

Unfortunately the computer reset the boot process and I went back to that message about Windows not bring properly shut down. I have also tried starting with the last good configuration, but I got the same result. I started to remove the newly installed RAM one stick at a time and got the same boot-loop issue. I did notice when during the reboots, that the firmware notified me that there was less RAM then before.

Here is a link to the exact RAM that I have:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3246374&CatId=3433

Do you think this might be a timing issue? I'm unsure of this as nothing is overclocked on my machine. It should be just strictly original settings.

Is it possible that the original "Three beeps and nothing" caused the boot-loop?

I took out the originally installed RAM and stayed with the orignal 1 GB and everything is working fine. In fact, I am typing this post from the Desktop in question.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing new RAM causes Boot loop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing new RAM causes Boot loop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the usuals.

In reply to: Installing new RAM causes Boot loop

1. Latest bios.
2. No overclocking.
3. See if others note issues with said ram.
4. Add .1V to the ram voltage in the bios.

If not, the ram is incompatible and you should try crucial.com

Collapse -
Review the specs

Recheck your manual on how the system supports the ram. You provided no full system details and a resolution is left hanging. Verify just how the ram handles DDR3, verify what the old ram is. What happens if only new ram installed? come back with results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
System Specs

In reply to: Review the specs

I have:
Intel Quad Core 9450 CPU
The Intel Brand DX48BT2 motherboard
1GB OCZ 10600 DDR 3 RAM (The same as the 2 sticks I ordered.)
750GB PATA Seagate Barracuda Drive.
Toughpower 700 Watt Power supply
An ATI chipset Video Card with 512MB Memory (Don't have the exact brand name off hand, but I can provide it if needed.)
Samsung SH-S203N DVD/CD Burner
Running XP Pro.

I'll try mixing around the RAM. I'll also check the voltages of the current stick(through BIOS I assume?)
I'll keep everyone informed on this.

Collapse -
Exactly what does the MB manual say about installing RAM ?

In reply to: System Specs

Many of the manuals I've looked at recommend matched pairs of DIMMs in the designated DIMM slots to run in the dual channel 128bit mode. Using 3-1GB DIMMs is often NOT RECOMMENDED.

My suggestion, test each of the new DIMMs separately....just 1 DIMM to make sure they're OK. Then try a pair in the dual channel slots. Try testing with Memtest86+.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
The reason I note the bios is because...

In reply to: System Specs

They update it to correct errors or add support for memory that wasn't out at the time. You didn't tell us a version number so I can't tell if yours is current. Building your own is fun but can demand we know all the little details.
Bob

Collapse -
BIOS version

In reply to: The reason I note the bios is because...

BTX3810J.86A.1513.2008.0304.1726 (According to CPU-ID)

The RAM is operating at 1.54 Volts.

Should I go ahead and order a 4th stick of RAM since three one gig sticks aren't recommended? Would that still be ok with my XP-32 bit?

What other kind of information are you looking for? If you care to elaborate on the needed specs, I'll post them.

Collapse -
Your BIOS looks out of date.

In reply to: BIOS version

Collapse -
New to system building

In reply to: Your BIOS looks out of date.

I'm new to the whole "system building" thing. I guess downloading the latest BIOS is just like downloading any other program?

Collapse -
When I do this...

In reply to: New to system building

I follow the makers instructions to the letter. I don't duplicate such here in case I copy it incorrectly or they change the instructions.

You can also make it a case for a RMA (return) since your product is out of date. Sometimes this works since you need some CPU to update the bios and your CPU won't boot until you update the BIOS. This is one revolving door that you don't want to experience.
Bob

Collapse -
Part of the problem is

In reply to: When I do this...

the system runs fine on one stick of RAM. But the RAM used isn't on the MB QVL and the specs show it needing 1.8V....user listed RAM voltage as 1.54V. He's way under volted and needs to test all the RAM thoroughly.

Re the BIOS....he's only two BIOS versions behind ...and both have been since March 08.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
"Notice all the changes to memory support?"

In reply to: Part of the problem is

2 or 1 version behind is not good enough here. The newest version has changes to support more memory sticks or to correct an error in the memory controller. This is an easy thing to get done for me. The only other choice is to send back the board till they get one that is current.

Collapse -
You're probably right .... guess we'll have to see

In reply to: "Notice all the changes to memory support?"

to see how this one turns out. But with non-qualified RAM running at 20% under voltage, not sure he's got much of a chance . . especially with more DIMMs.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
20% under voltage...

In reply to: You're probably right .... guess we'll have to see

Yes! It's something that's been a thorn in the side of first time builders. They hope the BIOS sets it proper... and then they get informed about bios updates and that they have to check all the numbers.

Collapse -
I want to double check on things...

In reply to: Your BIOS looks out of date.

I downloaded the latest BIOS from Intel. I haven't installed it yet because I am wondering if I am indeed two versions down, would it matter if I skip ahead and install the BIOS update with the date of 5/1/2008? The version I currently have has a date of 3/4/08.

Also, where do you find the list of specific RAM that works with the motherboard? I thought since I had DDR3 10600 1333Mhz RAM, that would be enough.

Collapse -
I am two versions behind...

In reply to: I want to double check on things...

I found this out in the release notes...Good thing I didn't install anything.. *whew*

I'm going to install the updates in proper order.

I'm still wondering about the memory list.

Thanks for all of your continued help!

Collapse -
(NT) Why not try bumping the voltage to the RAM SPEC 1.8V first?

In reply to: I am two versions behind...

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: Why not try bumping the voltage to the RAM SPEC 1.8V first?

I finally had some time last night to up the voltage on my RAM. I originally brought it to 1.78V. I can't bring it to exactly 1.8V due to the .04 increments set by the MB. When I made the adjustment to voltage to the RAM, the computer booted up just fine with the 3GB! It fact, there was a definate speed increase in the general operation of the Desktop...BUT only for about a minute or two. After the first minute or two of operation, the system would be moving at an extremely slow pace. Everything was rather slow and unresponsive. My initial thought is that I might now have too much voltage set to the RAM, as I started to lower the voltage in .04 increments, the computer seemed to "be fast" for a little while longer (although I haven't gotten back down to the original 1.54V yet).

If the issue is not too much voltage in the RAM, could it be a matter of needing an updated BIOS version? (I haven't installed those two versions yet).

Could it be something else?

Collapse -
Just asking.

In reply to: Update

Why is the BIOS update not acceptable. I looked at the release notes and see where they added more memory support and corrected some memory controller errors.

You've spent a lot of time on this but never tackled the issue head on till just your last post by putting the memory supply voltage to "spec." Feel free to share why you avoided the BIOS update. Also make the call to the supplier why they didn't give you a board with the current BIOS.
Bob

Collapse -
I was going with the suggestion of another poster

In reply to: Just asking.

I adjusted the memory voltage of the RAM because that was easiest and least potentially damaging to the computer. Also, it was suggested that I adjust the RAM voltage first before the BIOS updates.

I'll go ahead and install the two BIOS updates, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't any other potential causes of the problem.

It probably is a BIOS issue becuase the motherboard automatically put the RAM at the 1.54V setting.

Collapse -
Why "2" BIOS updates?

In reply to: I was going with the suggestion of another poster

I usually just get the latest. Maybe you don't understand this area well and this is why I sometimes ask people to return the product for one with the current BIOS.
Bob

Collapse -
You're on the right track ... with the RAM specing @ 1.8V

bumping the voltage to the RAM mfg spec's was the safest easiest solution. Flashing a BIOS can leave your system DOA if the old BIOS is erased but can't write the new code. It's generally not recommended unless there's a problem...like yours.

In the not so distant past Intel MBs were known to be extremely sensitive to RAM voltage. The MBs called for RAM at 1.8 and most didn't work at all or work reliably with RAM specked out at 1.9 or 2.0

What is it you read that indicates you shouldn't go to the 'latest' BIOS ?

VAPCMD

Quick question...usually you don't have to do all the BIOS updates....just the latest. Where did it say you had do do them sequentially ?

Collapse -
I thought I would screw up the system if I didn't do it...

in sequence. I'm new to the experience of updating BIOS. I thought you had to install them in sequential order or you could mess up the motherboard and necessitate a BIOS recovery.

Collapse -
Just for clarity.

In reply to: Update

You only install the BIOS version you want to run. There is no known BIOS that mandates you install them in order. Hope this clears that up.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Keep us posted...VAPCMD

In reply to: I am two versions behind...

Collapse -
Update! Cautiously optimistic...

In reply to: Keep us posted...VAPCMD

I finally updated the BIOS on my motherboard to version 1521 (released 3/18) earlier this evening. I thought I would push my luck a bit and install version 1554 as well. I noticed that the computer was hanging really bad when the Install file was trying to load to version 1554. Being frustrated, I hit the reset button and went to the BIOS menu. I brought the voltage back to 1.78V to see what would happen. After boot up, I just did some random surfing to kill some time and after a few minutes, the system seemed STABLE with NO HANG. I prodded around the computer for a bit longer just to be sure and then I shut down the computer. I went ahead and put a 2nd stick of RAM and then booted the system back up at 1.78V. I went ahead and did some surfing (and writing this post) and still, everything is STABLE... I am cautiously optimistic at this turn of events. I'm going to wait and hold off on putting in the 3rd stick of RAM just yet until I purchase a fourth.

I haven't installed BIOS update 1554 yet...not sure if I'm going to try again.

Happy

Thanks to everyone for their help in the matter! I'm still going to test the computer to see if anything different happens.

Collapse -
(NT) Too few details about the host system to help

Collapse -
Check to see if you installed them correctly.

They may not be seated correctly. Wrong RAM or RAMs miss matched or in wrong location. Check the PC/Laptop makers web site for the proper location for mismatched RAM size locations. Some need the large nearest to the CPU others the lowest. Best to buy matching RAMs to avoid troubles like yours.

To see if you have the right RAM run the scan here:

http://www.crucial.com/

This thread untracked.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.