Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing New HDD AND New Cd-ROM on an old W98 machine

by TokioOkio / September 15, 2006 12:01 AM PDT

This is a follow-up to a question I asked on the Windows 98 forum back in June. ?Windows Explorer corrupted, but working more or less ?

Hardware: IBM Aptiva 216516J, OS: W98 Japanese. Bought 1999. 8GB HDD has about 1.5MB in bad sectors. Built-in CDROM drive is ''missing''. Presently using CD Burner via USB1.1. (I know I should give up and buy a new system, but that is difficult at present.) I have a ?Recovery Disk? only.

I have probably done everything wrong that I can so I need lots of help.

I replaced the HDD with a 40GB. My BIOS is updated to allow larger HDDs. I tried again hoping that the CD-ROM would suddenly spring back into life. It did once before after being missing for about two years. No such luck. I tried switching back to the old HDD but I get ?Boot Disk Failure?. I bought a new CD-R/W (Buffalo CRW-52FB) but the start-up disk don?t recognize it.

I have the start-up disk made before the IBM went completely south and the recovery disk but I am not sure just how to procede.

I also have a new, legal copy of Windows 2000. I wonder if it wouldn?t be better to forget about 98 for the time being and install 2000. I have an Idea that my start-up floppies don?t have the right driver for the CD-R/W. It may be on the CDROM that came with the drive, but how do I access it?

There must be a way to start from scratch and install the Windows 2000, but I am at a loss right now. (and this back-up laptop is acting up like it might go on strike at any time.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing New HDD AND New Cd-ROM on an old W98 machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing New HDD AND New Cd-ROM on an old W98 machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 2000 boots from CD so..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

Boot from that CD. After the OS is installed we install motherboard driver, video driver, audio drivers, firewall then run Windows Update.

It's very simple but all this would be far too much work if the hardware is broken in some way.

Collapse -
I will try Clean install Windows 2000
by TokioOkio / September 15, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

Thanks for the message. I will try to install W2000. It is English version so I may have some problems with my old programs, but after I get it running maybe I can install my old Windows 98 Japanese too. First I am going to read the manual for W2000.

Collapse -
I tried W2000, but the problem is still the internal CD-R/W
by TokioOkio / September 22, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

I went back the the old HDD and CD-ROM and W98 booted this time, but the CD-ROM was still missing. Now that I had a working (more or less) Windows, I installed the new CD-R/W (Buffalo CRW-52FB and rebooted. The new CD-R/W didn't appear either.

The old CD-ROM originally disappeared after about two years. I bought a USB burner and forgot about the bad internal CD-ROM. A couple of years later, after a major crash, the old CD-ROM reappeared and worked for a year or two before disappearing again. This is why I feel that both drives are actually OK.

Could it be the flat cable, or maybe the "CD-ROM Controller" that is present but doesn't seem to be controlling anything. Do I need to get rid of it?

I can't reformat untill I get a working, non-USB CR drive working. My 8.4 GB HDD 1.5 meg of bad bytes and I want to install a new HDD, but I have to get the CD working first.

Wo Wo Wo is me - - TokioOkie -- too old to be a novice, but I is, still after about 20 years.

Collapse -
The simple test is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

Booting a bootable CD.

Windows 2000 is bootable and if it doesn't boot the list is very short of what's wrong.

1. BIOS not set to boot from CD.
2. Cables.
3. Drive.
4. Bad CD.
5. Incorrect jumpers.

Collapse -
by reefurbb / September 23, 2006 12:43 AM PDT

1. The start screen, black and white ram count and hardware inventory, displays the Hdd and CDdrive, or it is listed in BIOS ("setup"). It must be recognized here for you to have a chance.
2. It sounds like you've been inside this tower a lot.
a. the ide ribbon may be loose or bad.
b. the 4 wire power connector may be loose or ?
c. If you have the CD drive on the same ribbon as the Hdd, it must have the slave jumper. I assume it is on the secondary ide channel. Then I have found it doesn't matter if set as slave or master, if nothing else is on the ribbon. If you haven't tried it as a slave on the Primary IDE channel/ribbon, do so. The point being that your mobo with SiS chips may not be working right.
d. a w98se boot floppy ( will find the CD or CDRW drive and assign it a drive letter. If the CD drive door opens and closes, it has power, at least. If the w98se boot floppy cannot find it, it is a hardware problem.
e. once booted with "cdrom support", you can type the CDrom drive letter, enter, and type "setup", for w2k installation. I don't think it will help because most info from you points to a hardware, not OS problem.
f. I don't think you can initially use an older PC with USB to use an external CDrom drive unless the boot floppy sees it.

Collapse -
Can't reboot because system won't recognize buil-in CDROM
by TokioOkio / March 26, 2007 5:38 PM PDT

Do you remember our previous messages? Well I accidentally got my new built-in CD-RW to work.

Last night I left a floppy in the machine and didn't remove it before I turned it on this morning. There was something on the disk that caused the primary boot drive to change. After trying several things with no luck I went into set-up and tried something I had never tried before. I clicked yes on "Load Default Settings".

The boot was successful but indicated my secondary drive had changed. Just for the hell of it, I stuck a disk in the CD drive and it opened!

So now I have a working CDROM drive so I can install my new HDD and install Windows.

Catch 22 has been solved, cross my fingers and hope to die.

Now all I have to do is back up everything and reread all the info on installing the 40GB drive. Should I partition?

Collapse -
"Should I partition?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2007 9:36 PM PDT

In the world of Microsoft we always partition. Even if there is ONE PARTITION we can't escape creating a partition.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?