by bently / June 12, 2005 2:40 AM PDT

Using win xp home, sp 2
1.33 gigahertz AMD Athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6738
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 04/18/2003

I want to change existing HD with drives C & E, to drive D & F without reformatting or losing any existing data.

I will be removing a 10 gig hard drive, currently labeled drive D & F.

Installing a new WD 80 gig hard drive, which I will partition and format as drive C & E and do a new install of Win XP home.

When I change the jumpers from Primary to Slave, on original C drive, and the new HD jumpered as Primary, will the BIOS automatically change the slave HD from C & E, to D & F? (new HD will be plugged in at end of ribbon cable, and secondary will be plugged in to middle ribbon connector)

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing new hard drive, change name of old HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing new hard drive, change name of old HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Win XP does the allocating
by AussiePete / June 12, 2005 3:13 AM PDT

by first in first served - if you want to change after systems boots for the first time just change in admin tools - computer manager - disk manager - then right click on the drive and select "change drive letter"
You may have to do a bit of swapping about eg to swap c with d do the following:-
c>z
d>c
z>d
Follow?

Peter

Collapse -
not sure of proper sequence to do this
by bently / June 12, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

Thanks Peter,

"You may have to do a bit of swapping about eg to swap c with d do the following:-
c>z
d>c
z>d
Follow?"

I understand the above, but don't know proper time to do this.
I am installing brand new WD 80 gig HD so at this point nothing is installed on new drive.
Are you saying I should change what is now... C drive, to D, before I remove the old D drive?

Ben

Collapse -
Let me explain
by AussiePete / June 13, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

I was just giving you a hypothetical method of swapping disk letters around - in your case you wont have to because I think XP will allocate exactly what you want - however, you haven't said if you have a CDROM drive - because you might find when you install the drives your CDROM take over the F drive and the second partition of your old drive becomes G - if this happens and you want that this second partition to be F and the CDROM to be G then you will have to do some thing like the following

F you change to Z
G you change to F
Z you change to G

You will have to do the above because you cant change directly, ie you can change the old hard disk from g to F because your CDROM is using it - so you have to free it up by calling it Z - follow now? - if you dont, you will see what I mean if, and when you come to change letters.
Peter

Collapse -
Icons & shortcuts...
by dagger906 / June 13, 2005 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me explain

Don't forget about icons and shortcuts. When you switch drive letters, they will no longer work without updating. It may take a while...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Peter & dagger
by bently / June 14, 2005 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Icons & shortcuts...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?