PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Installing new eSata xtrnl drive

by bigdavetru / March 1, 2008 3:51 PM PST

I just ordered a "Western Digital My Book? Home Edition External Hard Drive 500 GB, USB 2.0, FireWire 400, eSATA" http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=355&language=en

I want to go eSATA since I have a motherboard that supports sata - Intel Desktop Board D915GAG
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915gag/sb/c6860002.pdf

I currently have installed an internal 200gb sata hd.

I was hoping I could just install a sata-esata adapter cable and plug in the new hd and that would be that. Something tells me it's not going to be so simple, and I have a feeling I'm going to need a pci card.

So can I just install the sata-esata adapter cable or do I need a pci card ( any references/links to where I can purchase a good cable or card would be helpful ).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing new eSata xtrnl drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing new eSata xtrnl drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Google eSATA bracket
by samkh / March 1, 2008 11:02 PM PST
Collapse -
No pci card is needed.
by ahtoi / March 2, 2008 1:13 AM PST

It depend on how you want things done. What data cable comes with the external drive? Internal or external?

Collapse -
No pci card is needed.?
by bigdavetru / March 2, 2008 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: No pci card is needed.

USB cable, FireWire cable. Of course, I want to get the best performance so I guess I'll buy/put it the sata-esata bracket. Again my question is: is the bracket all I need to get the best performance or do I need a card?

Collapse -
Never.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 7:15 AM PST

I deal with lost data on drives from the public and have to come down with "never" for firewire and a Windows PC.

You are more than welcome to try it but my experiences is either it works fine then someday it just loses it all. Stick with the sata or USB plus a damage resistant file system (FAT32 is out!)

Bob

Collapse -
FAT32
by bigdavetru / March 2, 2008 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Never.

Thanks for the tip about FAT32, the drive comes with it preformatted. I guess the first thing I'll do is reformat it into one big NTFS partition (it's a 500gb drive ) with the XP disk management utility.

I'm not sure about what will be the best partition size/s. I'll be using this new xtrnl drive to keep a complete backup of my 200gb internal drive, as well as for the xtra storage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! Happy

Collapse -
I bought several of these and they work for me
by VAPCMD / March 2, 2008 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Best performance - new xtrnl drive
by bigdavetru / March 2, 2008 7:24 AM PST

Thanks for replying. Maybe you can clear things up for me. I notice they sell PCIxpress cards that will give you xtrnal esata port/s. Is this for those whose motherboard/hdcontrollers don't have an xtra connector for the bracket. Or is the PCIxpress card for better hd performancs?

Collapse -
Basically ....yes.
by VAPCMD / March 2, 2008 9:30 AM PST

You would really only need a PCI SATA or perhaps a PCIe SATA controller if there were't any free SATA ports on the MB or the MB SATA interface wasn't fast enough for the external HDD. Not sure you'd see a big difference either way. Some of the newer, higher-end MBs have external SATA ports. For those that don't...something like what I recommended is a great alternative.

Let us know...it worked well for me.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Intel Bios does not recognize new drive
by bigdavetru / March 10, 2008 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Basically ....yes.

Well I finally got an esata bracket ( kinda hard to find ), installed the cables to the motherboard and connected the rest of the esata cables, and the bios ( and consequently XP ) doesn't see the new drive. This is the Intel bios (ver AG91510J.15A.0816.2005.0214.1818 02/14/2005). Is the bios suppose to detect the new hd automatically? Cannot figure out how to manually enter values for new hd.

Drive works fine in firewire mode ( remember its a Western Digital My Book Home Edition External Hard Drive ).

Collapse -
Yes, the bios is suppose to see the drive.
by ahtoi / March 10, 2008 6:54 PM PDT

So power on the drive before booting the computer.

Collapse -
Did have drive on
by bigdavetru / March 11, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

Tried that, still doesn't see it. Do you think upgradeing the bios might help?( I'm not sure if they have an upgrade ).

Collapse -
Don't think update is the problem.
by ahtoi / March 11, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Did have drive on

try another another connection if you have more than 2. or maybe switch with the internal drive connection just to if it get recognize.

Collapse -
bad esata cables maybe?
by bigdavetru / March 14, 2008 5:14 AM PDT

bios doesn't see it no matter what sata mobo connector is used, even the one the internal drive is using. Any sure way to test the cable(s)?

Else maybe I'll try to find a cable that connects directly from mobo to my extrnl drive, just to test things out( I tried the cable from my mobo to my internal drive but that doesn't work ) .

If I install an eSata pci card ( which provide esata connections ) will the bios be forced to see it?

Collapse -
No, pci controller is not going to help.
by ahtoi / March 14, 2008 5:26 PM PDT

Sounds like the problem lies with the connection, cable, or the external harddrive itself or maybe the external power supply. Of course the quickest way to test it out would be to connect the drive to another computer.

Collapse -
Yeah I need another pc with a working esata port
by bigdavetru / March 15, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

The drive works fine in firewire mode. I need to find somebody near with a working esata port.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?