Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing google talk on vista

by domenicofavotto / March 10, 2008 3:48 PM PDT

Hi,
can you please help me because i cannot get google talk to install on windows vista.
upon launching google talk setup, i just get the following error:

"The new version of Google Talk cannot be installed because you are running an older version of Google Talk that is not compatible with Windows Vista. Please uninstall Google Talk as Administrator to remove the incompatible version and re-install Google Talk from http://www.google.com/talk."

The error window title is "Google Talk Setup".

I have previously installed Google Talk on my windows vista machine.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks.

PC SPECS:
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
Memory (RAM): 768 MB
Windows experience index rating: 2.6 Windows Experience Index

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing google talk on vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing google talk on vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) So why not uninstall the old version?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) i have already removed the old version from my computer
by domenicofavotto / March 11, 2008 7:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
Let's see what we find on manually removals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 1:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
don't work administrator
by domenicofavotto / March 13, 2008 8:04 PM PDT

i tryed running the install as administrator but i got the same error

Collapse -
Then you are stuck with the old crusty...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

Manual removal methods. That is, delete the files that it installed and hunt through the registry for remnants to be deleted by you.

I didn't find any other method or a step by step so we're back to 1995 methods.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by domenicofavotto / March 14, 2008 9:51 AM PDT

ok. i will look through my system for any google talk files on my vista and remove them. same with the registry. if i still cannot install google talk after removing files i will post back for help.

Collapse -
problem solved.
by domenicofavotto / March 14, 2008 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

hi.
my problem with installing google talk is now solved.
i had google talk on my xp partition (i have a dual-boot xp/vista system) so i used the uninstaller as administrator from xp google talk and then installed google talk on vista and it works fine now.thanks

Collapse -
new Google talk install error.
by praveencusat / August 17, 2008 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: problem solved.

It is very boring work to search through registry. Does any registry cleaning software help?
I hate Vista for not showing the proper solution or proper error message. If anyone got a solution pls reply

Collapse -
Just use Pidgin
by Jimmy Greystone / August 17, 2008 4:34 AM PDT

Just use Pidgin, or its offshoot Carrier. They work fine on Vista, I'm using it right now on Vista x64. They're a tad on the ugly side, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more capable multi-protocol IM program. Trillian is the only real competition out there, which is another option, though the 3.1 version didn't work so well for me on Vista x64... Can't really say for certain how well it reacts on the 32-bit Vista.

In any case, all three are free, or have a free version. And on top of working just fine with Google's Jabber based GTalk, they work with AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, and a bunch of other IM protocols you've probably never even heard of.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.