Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

installing genuine windows XP over a Hp oem version problems

by Chelli2721 / December 13, 2008 2:49 AM PST

I recently bought a genuine copy of Windows XP MCE and decided on the upgrade over an existing HP Oem version using the setup from within Windows all proceeded fine til it got to the installing devices progress bar waited for over an hour before restarting once it resumed to the installing devices progress bar after another 10 minutes of waiting withdrew the setup cd and reinserted then progress went from nil to 2/5 of the progress bar then rebooted automatically the progress bar remained a nil for another 10 15 minutes tries removing and reinserting the setup CD a second time this time though nothing changed this time though when restarting had the systen boot it from the CD and was asked if I wanted to continue or quit the new installation chose to quit the setup from restarting but when Restarted just restarted the install process from where it left off
i need to know how to go thru with the install from where it continually stals out on installing devices or roll itself back to the older version

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing genuine windows XP over a Hp oem version problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing genuine windows XP over a Hp oem version problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shut down everything . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 13, 2008 3:36 AM PST

running on the PC. Everything including AV programs, utilities running in the background, etc. Everything you can. Disconnect from the Internet, unplug the NIC cable or turn wireless off, whichever.

Good luck.

The proper way is to do a full install from a CD boot and do a full format, convert to NTFS (if not already), and install. Hopefully the PC has the hardware to handle Media Center.

Collapse -
thats a bit drastic
by Chelli2721 / December 13, 2008 5:58 AM PST

was hoping for an esier way to like a startup file config sys and autoexec bat that may call up the setup routine in the first place the reason I hoped to upgrade I have different versions of the backup program one is a complete disk image and the other was all folders and files and sitings Unfortunately that method I used the last time Some of software had to replace all the cd keys as well hopefully saving the settings would have taken care of that for me so everything would run as they had previously.the recent install from Dos when I ran the reinstal the disk image reinstalled both the system and the MBR record as well even though I opted out restored those anyway
the recent disk image I made sure the System and MBR record were not saved with the rest of the disk Image but as both were created by Acronis be anybody s guess whether the new version were retained or the old ver restored
there should have been a recovery console show up than that Dos notice even though it knew it was currently in the install process yet no recovery conse option was given

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.