Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Installing Firefox and Thunderbird

by David Evans / July 3, 2004 3:04 PM PDT

Check it out: How-To
Fire Internet Explorer and Outlook Express With Mozilla Alternatives

Firefox is a free open source web browser I think you'll like. Currently in release 9.1. Tabbed browsing, popup blocking, it offers to import your IE bookmarks when you install it. Not emntioned in the article is that you can easily download "extensions" that add functionality. Just pick the ones you want. For example, I have an extension that lets me select any word, right-click, and look up the word in online dictionaries. Another called "BugMeNot" that lets me right-click on pages that require registration, such as the NYT, and it'll show me a username and password to use for most sites. Another neat extension lets me select an url, then paste it here with the UBBC code inserted around it to either make it a clickable url, or to make it a clickable url that I can put the title of the article into, if you know what I mean. It'll also make your normal bold, italics, etc code for you. Another extension lets you click on a long url and automatically generate a short url for it from Tinyurl. You get the idea. There are quite a few extensions available. Also downloable themes if you want to improve the looks of the browser.

Thunderbird is a free open source email client in the 0.7.1 release I believe, and it's pretty sharp because it has built-in spam protection. You "train" the spamfilter to recognize what is and is not spam, and after a week or two, when you get the spam filter set up properly, you tell the filter to automatically put all future incoming spam into a junk filter, or delete it off the server. Pretty neat.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Firefox and Thunderbird
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Firefox and Thunderbird
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Installing Firefox and Thunderbird
by R Bibb / July 3, 2004 4:08 PM PDT

Correction: Firefox version 0.9.1 is the most current release.

Collapse -
by David Evans / July 3, 2004 4:29 PM PDT

True. My mistake as I meant to type 0.9.1.

Forgot to mention another extension I have installed. Every time Firefox is shut down this extension copies a backup of my bookmarks to the folder that contains all of my datafiles. That folder is backed up each day, burned to cd twice, so no more of those "ohno!" moments with regard to bookmarks.

DE

Collapse -
by David Evans / July 3, 2004 4:34 PM PDT

And for those interested in downloading Firefox and Thunderbird, you can find both by clicking on the download link on this page.

DE

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / July 3, 2004 10:47 PM PDT

Hi DavE,

I downloaded and used these at one time, and went back to IE and Pocomail. I don't recall now exactly why I didn't like them, but your description makes me think maybe it's time to try them again. Thanks for the info!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Well, I'm trying them
by Cindi Haynes / July 4, 2004 11:05 AM PDT

And you might have made a believer out of me! I like both programs quite well, I'll know better after playing a few days. The mail program has a lot of the Pocomail functionality, yet is FREE, and the browser is speedy, and the pages look just like they do in IE. Now I just have to check out those extensions you talk about.

So far so good!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Re: Well, I'm trying them
by David Evans / July 4, 2004 4:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, I'm trying them

You can download the extensions from the link I mentioned upstairs, or here's a link. They're adding new extensions every day it seems.

There are a few extensions available for Thunderbird too.

DE

Collapse -
by Paul C / July 4, 2004 10:57 AM PDT

Dave,

The last time I tried Firefox was a while back and I wasn't real impressed. I decided I'd try again...and NOW I'm impressed.

It loads fast, renders much more accurately than before (a major nit I had to pick with the previous version) and seems stable.

I'm not a big fan of the regular Mozilla browser, but Firefox is a keeper - so far.

Collapse -
by David Evans / July 4, 2004 4:14 PM PDT

I'm also impressed so far. I installed the Windows versions of Firefox and Thunderbird at work.

I think I'll write to the Thunderbird developers to ask them if they can include a backup utility for email / email boxes / addressbook / filter rules / settings / etc like Pocomail has. That's one very handy feature of Pocomail. You can't backup stuff too much or too often, and the easier it is to do the more likely it will actually GET done!

DE

Collapse -
by C1ay / July 5, 2004 11:18 AM PDT

Bear in mind as well that there won't be an IE 7. Microsoft is only producing service packs for IE and not developing future versions. CERT, the U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team, has also suggested that PC users look to sources other than Microsoft for a web browser because of continuing security holes in IE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?