Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

INSTALLING EXTERNAL CD-RW & DVD ROM COMBO

I would be really grateful if someone could help me with what appears to be a real nightmare of a problem.

I have had Windows 98 problems for a few weeks now (in that I deleted a malware file that had written itself to iexplorer.exe).

I have sufficiently solved these Windows problems to give me access to initially all the programs and more recenetly the internet.

In the intervening period I bought a Artec CD-RW DVD Rom External Drive (as my 2 internal CD Drives were not working properly). I bought it so that I could at least copy important files and directories from my hard disk. It was also one of the few that claimed to allow the use of Windows 98.

On the initial attachment of the drive using the USB, my computer indicated that new hardware had been found. However, it required the driver which was on CD and therefore I couldn't access. As a result it was not installed properly. My brother made a copy of the CD onto a couple of disks (which I could and still can access).

Now I have installed the drivers from the floppy disk but the computer does not seem to have recognised the external drive. I could try downloading the drivers from the website but it would seem that the drivers themselves are not the problem. It is the computer not recognising the new hardware (other than initial attachment) that is the problem.

I have already tried using the control panel/add new hardware function and the computer does not recognise the extrenal drive (or at least it does not list it). The same is true when it searches for new hardware - still nothing. I have tried re-attaching the hardware and also reinstalling the software and still nothing.

Does anyone please have any ideas or know of any freeware that will acknowledge new hardware.

Any help would be extremely appreciated as I am tearing my hair out!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: INSTALLING EXTERNAL CD-RW & DVD ROM COMBO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: INSTALLING EXTERNAL CD-RW & DVD ROM COMBO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doubtful.

In reply to: INSTALLING EXTERNAL CD-RW & DVD ROM COMBO

I would not attempt this on less than Windows 98se and even then I know there are limits that are in place.

You don't have Windows 98se so it may be that you don't have USB 2.0 support which is required to playback DVD from the external drive.

Bob

Collapse -
NOT RELEVANT

In reply to: Doubtful.

Thanks, but this really doesn't deal with my issue at all.

I don't need it for the DVD - just the CD writer. I bought the External Drive as can be used only any Windows Version so your reply isn't relevant. Sorry.

Collapse -
Some cases and external CDRW/DVD drives ...

In reply to: NOT RELEVANT

Only work on USB 2.0. Your post is incomplete with no link to the make/model of your devices.

You can dismiss this if you want as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Is it this one?

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~100216~WW~/Artec%2052X24X52X16%20External%20Combi%20USB2%20Drive.htm notes Windows 98se and not prior versions.

Your post is light on the host machine details so at this point it seems your machine doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Bob
Collapse -
WORKAROUND TO BACKUP = KNOPPIX.

Collapse -
THANKS BUT....

In reply to: WORKAROUND TO BACKUP = KNOPPIX.

the problem is not concerning the External Drive, the Driver nor the version of Windows. All of these are okay.

The question I am asking is how to add hardware (such as the External Drive) so that the computer recognises it i.e. there is no hardware listed in the Control Panel as as an external drive. As stated in my initial message the computer recognised the hardware on it's first attachment - this is the only problem. So how do I get the computer to recognise it now?

Collapse -
Not ok.

In reply to: THANKS BUT....

You noted Windows 98 and the requirement was 98se. The drive would come with install instructions for the older Windows, and you would follow them. You have not verified the make and model so I can't proceed.

Bob

Collapse -
NEVER MIND I 'LL FIND OUT ELSEWHERE

In reply to: Not ok.

You don't understand. The driver has installed correctly and there has been s setup. It has nothing to do with the version of Windows at all. It really doesn't.

The only problem is how to add the hardware as the computer accepted it when it was initially attached. This has always been my question. How to add the External Derive.

I am sure you didn't read the previous messages properly. Never mind.

Collapse -
Why don't you get an internal

In reply to: NEVER MIND I 'LL FIND OUT ELSEWHERE

drive and install it? You said in your first post both of your CD drives no longer work. Replacing them is cheap and easy. Much easier than what you are trying to do.

Collapse -
Yes. Do that.

In reply to: NEVER MIND I 'LL FIND OUT ELSEWHERE

You don't answer my questions either. I re-read the thread and I still see this as not meeting the OS requirement for the make/model that I GUESSING is yours.

You are part of the team to fix your issue. This is not PAID TECH SUPPORT. You can't selectively supply information.

You need to get past your denial phase "it can't be the OS". I'm writting from years of experience that I'm seeing more and more products eject Windows 95/98 support and move to 98se and later. Some have stopped 98se/me/NT as well.

We have to take these requirements seriously when things doen't work.

Bob

Collapse -
Some things to try, to fix your problem

First how old your computer? and I assume your trying to connect via your usb ports? Sometimes with some computers you have to make sure your usb ports are turned on or enabled in the BIOS. This is the setup you go into at initial boot up. Also you need to make sure that this version of windows is compatible with your CD-RW & DVD ROM combo, try if have not done so already go to the manufacture of this drive website, they should have support link for the drive your attempting to install. The site might address your problem. Hope I've help you, just some things that ran across my mind. Have a great day.

hank

Collapse -
USB

In reply to: Some things to try, to fix your problem

I know USB drivers can be corrupted (at least for 2.0), try reinstalling them.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.