Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

installing downloaded programs

I have more than once been unable to install the program I wanted for a reason that I do not know.
Other programs readily install.
Is their something I can do about this.

rayMead

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing downloaded programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing downloaded programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without knowing more

In reply to: installing downloaded programs

it is impossible to diagnose.

In addition, 'intermittent' problems make the task that much more difficult.

What we would need to know;

1] Which browser? If this happens with one browser, does it happen with others?

2] Which browser settings? For example, does the browser normally download and run automatically, or does it give you the option to either "Download and run" or "Download and save"?

3] If you always use the "Download and save" option, which location are downloaded files saved to?

4] What does, "Unable to install" mean? Any error messages?

5] Which files? Any examples of which files fail to install, and where you downloaded from, (eg url web site addresses)?

6] Do you ave any security software installed that may be blocking downloads and/or installs?

Mark

Collapse -
more information

In reply to: Without knowing more

I generally use IE for my browser. However I have had problems with CometBird as well.
The download always gives both options save and run.
When I save I save to my documents.
I have also used free download manager.
The message when it will not install is that windows cannot open the files.
None of the download will install as there is not an attempt at installing.
Microsoft Security Essentials gives me the option to run the download or not and tells me if it blocks something so I can choose to stop the blocking if I want.
Thanks
RayMead

Collapse -
Thanks for the further information.

In reply to: more information

The files download so we can discount Download Manager problems, and they get saved to your My Documents folder. When you look inside that folder, you can see the files.

Microsoft Security Essentials gives you the option to run the downloads. I don't know MSE, so I am not sure what that means. If you download the file before attempting to open it and install the software it contains, then I am not sure where MSE comes in to the downloading part. It shouldn't be in control of downloads. However, may be you are using it to scan the files once the downloads are complete to check for viruses before double clicking the files to install the software. I didn't know MSE could block you from opening the files, unless it had quarantined them as virus infected files.

When you double click on them to install the software, Windows says it cannot open the files. I'm not familiar with that message as it stands on its own. I sometimes see Windows messages asking me what application I want to open a particular file, but not that one.

You say you can install other software. Do the files which refuse to install have .exe file extensions?

Mark

Collapse -
downloads

In reply to: Thanks for the further information.

It may be that there is no exe file. so maybe they are incomplete downloads? then there is no way to install. Some have come from cnet, but others have not, nor do I remember all of these programs, exactly.
I just know that I have had this problem several times.

Thanks

RayMead

Collapse -
Incomplete downloads?

In reply to: downloads

Very difficult to sort that out, the problem could range from Download Manager problems, (don't use them), to internet connection problems, to server problems, (where the files are downloaded from). But there's no clues in your posts about any of that.

When I come across an incomplete download I usually delete the incomplete file then attempt to download again.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.