Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

installing Docx2Rtf 2.4

by DANNY101 / July 2, 2009 5:58 PM PDT

I received an Email with an attachment that I could not open. Trying WordPad and Notepad I just got gibberish. It is a .docx document and I found what should have been the ideal program to install to open it. "Docx2Rtf 2.4". I downloaded it and then it immediately opened with 5 files from read me to others that are not recognized except by the computer savvy. It was Not Installed yet (I think) but I have no idea how to proceed from that point. I never had that occur after downloading. The left column (left of the 5 files) had an Extract Files option, but we new guys that have been hurt just delete the new files that are there and back out. Can you tell me what is to be done after finding files present and no guidance to complete the install? Thank You, Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing Docx2Rtf 2.4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing Docx2Rtf 2.4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: docx-files
by Kees Bakker / July 2, 2009 6:07 PM PDT

Never heard of that program. There must be better alternatives.
- Please tell what you would want to do with the file, once opened. Only read and print? Or edit?
- Please tell what word processing software you have installed on your system (MS Word, Open Office Writer, none at all except standard WordPad)
- Please tell your OS.

By the way, .docx is MS Word 2007 native format. So it seems you don't have MS Office System 2007 installed.

Kees

Collapse -
installing Docx2Rtf 2.4
by DANNY101 / July 3, 2009 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: docx-files

Hi, I'm using Win XP SP2. This PC came with MS Office, but long ago I learned that opening it means pop-up ads from MS for the life of the PC after 60 days to buy the "Full" version and/or extra's. In this event I am more interested in installing this 4/5 star program that will fix the problem. It is highly touted by CNET/download.com I never had the experience of not having the program "ready to go" after downloading. This Odd, (to me)window with operating files showing, no further instructions to install/activate the program is what flustered me. I was hoping a reader with this program could give as step by step to complete the install. Happy Holiday!

Collapse -
Re: docx2rtf
by Kees Bakker / July 3, 2009 8:30 PM PDT

I downloaded version 3.8 from Brothersoft (can't access download.cnet.com). It's a zip-file (Windows XP calls it a compressed folder) containing 4 files and a language folder.

Just unzip using your favorite zip-program to your favorite folder for downloaded programs and run the exe from that folder.

Unzip:
I have Powerdesk and Tugzip and of course the native Windows XP support for that. I use just what opens (one of those 3, probably) if I click 'open' after the download. Then I click on 'extract' or whatever it's called in that program. You might have installed one of that myriad other zip-programs.

Folder:
I always make a new subfolder in Program Files. You might have another personal standard. Then do that.

Kees

Collapse -
Many months ago Open Office learned to handle .DOCX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 7:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
installing Docx2Rtf 2.4
by DANNY101 / July 4, 2009 8:10 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply Kees. I just want to open the document. On Download.com I searched "open docx" and that is how I found the program. It has a 5 star user rating with 500+ downloads last week alone. The next best program offered only pulled two stars so that seemed a good program to install. This PC has MS Money, Power Point 2003 and Office preinstalled, but as I mentioned, once activated a never ending barrage of ads/pop ups start to get you to buy the program(s). If I could merely find how to install DocxRtf, I'd be set.

Collapse -
Re: installing
by Kees Bakker / July 4, 2009 8:26 PM PDT

See my post above for installation instructions.

It couldn't be simpler than this for anyone who grew up before every program came as a .msi or setup.exe file: just unzip and you're ready to go. That can't even be called install!

Very basic. You even have to create your own shortcut to it, if you need a shortcut. And it doesn't put itself in the context menu for a .docx file either. I wonder why anybody would give it a 5-star rating.

Good free alternatives:
- Microsofts Word Viewer, in combination with Microsofts Compatibility pack from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657ce88-7cfa-457a-9aec-f4f827f20cac&displaylang=en
- Open Office Writer from www.openoffice.org, as mentioned already by Bob
Those do install the way you're use to: run setup and go. And they make shortcuts and you can integrate them into the context menu. Thats's the 2009 standard, as opposed to the 1995 standard of the program you downloaded.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: installing
by DANNY101 / July 4, 2009 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: installing

Hi Kees,
I do not have a "zip/unzip" program that I have ever come across. Thank you for the recommendation, for the file open as soon as the new MS program was installed. One more piece of the needed puzzle is installed for future .docx files. Enjoy the holiday. Dan

Collapse -
Re: zip
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2009 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: installing
Collapse -
compressed folder
by DANNY101 / July 5, 2009 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: zip

Kees, I have never seen a "zipped folder" in the years I have owed this PC. I did go to My Computer/Right click/New and created-named a folder "Compressed Folder, but it did not transform into a compressed (zipped) folder.
In Search I put Compressed Folder and searched Computer and none were found. So following instructing on How to Create, it didn't work nor did locating an existing one.??

Collapse -
How to create a zip-file.
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2009 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: compressed folder

In My Computer, right click on a selection of one or more files, and choose Send To>Compressed folder. That's very standard XP.

Kees

Collapse -
Zip-File
by DANNY101 / July 5, 2009 8:47 AM PDT

I guess I was not clear. There is no such option when I right click on a folder! Although the MS info indicated the same, it just is not present. Whether that is because I never activated the 60 day trial MS office programs or not, I don't know. But I have had this PC for several years and have yet to see any file with the zipper on it, or an option to make one. Do you have an idea what would cause that? At one time I had IZArc installed,but never used it-didn't know how and the instructions were not novice user friendly and I removed it after about 30 days or so. Yet prior to that I recall no "compression" file option.. Good Evening

Collapse -
If you ever need one ...
by Kees Bakker / July 6, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Zip-File

I can recommend free Tugzip.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?