Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Installing AHCI Drivers in Vista

by kywildcats4life / July 3, 2009 8:56 AM PDT

for a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. I can not seem to find them and what process to use installing them. I know I need them because when I switch from SATA to AHCI in the BIOS, the computer will not boot on restart. When I switch to just SATA there are no problems.

My recent reformat messed them up. Can someone direct me to a download link and the steps for installation?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing AHCI Drivers in Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing AHCI Drivers in Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"when I switch from SATA to AHCI in the BIOS, the computer w
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 10:55 AM PDT

"when I switch from SATA to AHCI in the BIOS, the computer will not boot on restart."

Don't do that unless you want to start over with a fresh OS install.

Collapse -
Well,

It was already set on AHCI by default. This is from our prior discussion. I did not change anything. After the reformat it blue screens after EVERY restart in AHCI mode. Normal shut downs and boot ups are fine.

However, for the heck of it after all this reading, I did try out SATA. It booted fine and restarted fine. Switched back to AHCI and same problems occured.

So I pose to you... how do I fix this driver issue? I need to get AHCI mode working. I've tried my Dell driver cds, Dell update etc. Either it isn't there or I don't seem to know what I'm looking for.

Color me confused with this mess.

Collapse -
Since it's a Dell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Well,

They are the ones to talk to about drivers. It is very possible they only support some settings in the bios and not others.

The issue of Windows taking a dive when we change a bios setting or even upgrading a bios is WELL KNOWN. Also it's WELL KNOWN that sometimes we can't fix the now failed installed Windows.

If you say you can't get Windows to work when the bios is set that way, then you deal with it's maker. In fact you do have a WARRANTY ISSUE from what I see.

Either that or you have something like a printer, usb stick or something that didn't come with the machine plugged in. WHY DOES THAT MATTER? For years I demonstrated how a printer when plugged into a machine could bluescreen a machine during, before, after a Windows install. NOTHING IS BROKEN HERE. Microsoft and it appears everyone claims this is not a bug.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmmm
by kywildcats4life / July 4, 2009 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Since it's a Dell

I really don't think we are on the same page here. I understand you saying it's a Dell issue. How in the heck can you say nothing is broken?? The machine WORKED FINE FOR 2 YEARS. I did not switch anything. There is no printer or other USB device causing the blue screen. I would say not being able to restart normally is just that - broken.

Are you saying I should post this in the "Dell forums?" I need a little more direction.

Collapse -
You may not have done a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm

Microsoft supplies system updates and more. So let's quickly move past that nothing changes. This is always changing.

Ok, let's say the machine is set to BIOS defaults and we follow Dell's install instructions. (hint, you supply the link to that.) If that fails then we have a broken machine.

It is that simple. I didn't write to post in Dell forums. You can if you wish find them in seconds as well as our own Dell forum here.

More direction? Just one. Give me the link to Dell's install instructions that you are using. Be assured I will ask about what's different in the machine from new to today.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?