General discussion

Installing a second hard drive.

I am using a hp- a705w, witch came with a Seagate 40gb hard drive. It also came with only 256mb of RAM. I have uped the RAM to 512 mb for now and just purchased a IBM/Hitachi Model 07N9219, 120gb hard drive that I will be installing as a second drive. This IBM drive runs at 7200rpms and the Seek time is 8.5(msec). The Seagate drive that came with the pc, runs 5400rpms. and the Seek time is 12 (msec).

Therefor ideally I would like to make the faster drive the Master and the slower drive the slave. What do you think? Do you see any problem with doing this. If that is the way I should go, how do I transfer the Windows XP, and other programs over the the new Master drive?

One more question. Even though the way I read the specs for each of these dirves I have been told by a tech. that the IBM/Hitachi drive runs much hotter. He says it runs about 106-116 degrees. The spec charts for the Seagate says 0-60 C and the specs for the IBM/Hitachi says it runs 5-55 C. What do you think about this? Shoud I install additional cooling fans and if so what style?

Hey guys, Your answers will be appreicated very much. Thanks a bunch!!!! Roger

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installing a second hard drive.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installing a second hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clone. . .

Do a Google search for cloning software. It will make an exact duplicate of the old drive on the new one. Then insert the new drive as master, set the old drive as slave, and go for it. You will see a performance increase with the faster drive, about 40%.

Maxtor has a free program called MaxBlast, but I don't know if it will work on other drives.

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

- Collapse -
Any other free downloads for cloning?

Thanks for the tip. Does anyone else know of any other free downloads that would help clone my hard drive?

- Collapse -
Installing a second hard drive.

Is this a retail unit?

My last hd (not itti-bitti-machine) came with a floppy which had a drive>drive copy util on it.

I must admit I never tried the thing but it seems like what you want.

Perhaps a visit to the makers site if it's not supplied with the unit.

- Collapse -
cloning hard drive

I did not get a disk with it. I will try the manufacture. Thanks Bob

- Collapse -
Cloning

Hi Dawn, I just finished installing a new Western Digital drive. The software for copying the old drive to the new was on the cd. If you didn't get software with your drive, go to their website. It should be available for free download.
Best of Luck

CNET Forums

Forum Info