Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing a previously installed program

by grandpaw7 / April 17, 2004 4:58 AM PDT

I am wondering about the need to uninstall a program before reinstalling it.

My Works 6.0 recently got corrupted. So I bought a new Works 6.0 CD and installed it without first uninstalling the first installation (because I thought there might be less chance of losing what I had stored in the first program). That seems to have worked fine.

But, when my daughter's Canon printer program messed up and I went to reinstall it, the installation program said to be sure to first uninstall the first installation.

Now, I find that my MusicMatch program has gotten corrupted and I want to reinstall it. But I don't know if I should first uninstall the first installation. My reason for wanting to install over the prior one is the hope that by doing tis maybe I won't lose the songs I previously got from MusicMatch.

Any help out there? Thanks, Jerry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing a previously installed program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing a previously installed program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Installing a previously installed program
by jconner / April 17, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

Some software like Works and other MS products will install over an older version and will save settings and documents etc. Others won't, printer and other device drivers are exceptions and must be uninstalled manually unless an update to the same device.

Generally a full uninstall will delete the directories set up by the application, so you should save your special files (including settings, templates and others) elsewhere before uninstalling. Once the uninstall is complete and the new install is complete move these special files back. A prime example of this would be an address book or e-mails if you have to re-install a mail program.

Collapse -
Re:Installing a previously installed program
by Marlene / April 18, 2004 2:12 PM PDT

always unistall them pops if they are corrupted. if you dont, the corruption will still be there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?