Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

installing a new XP to replace pirated copy

My computer came with a pirated copy of XP Pro Corporate. I have recently purchased a legal XP Pro. I am not ready to install the new version as I am afraid of losing data and havent yet backed everything up. I guess I have 2 questions: Can I install the new CD without losing anything? Can I put the new keys in to stop the annoying Windows Advantage thing and then later claen my HD and install the new version?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing a new XP to replace pirated copy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing a new XP to replace pirated copy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quicker fix? The Jellybean.

In reply to: installing a new XP to replace pirated copy

Collapse -
Quicker fix? The Jellybean

In reply to: Quicker fix? The Jellybean.

As long as you now have a valid Product Key, and as long as it is the same version of Windows XP, you should not not have to reinstall anything. You can just use the Microsoft KeyUpdateTool.exe, which you can download at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409.

For more information, see the user's post at:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=449215&SiteID=25

Note: I tried to use the product key code for my Windows XP 64 on my Windows XP Professional and it did not work. It has to be a code for XP Professional to XP Professional to work.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just Back up your data & Reinstall XP

In reply to: installing a new XP to replace pirated copy

Collapse -
Probably a dumb question, but

In reply to: (NT) Just Back up your data & Reinstall XP

Wouldn't the new program install over the old without losing all the other files and data? Wouldn't it be like an upgrade? Just curious for future reference.

Tom

Collapse -
Probably a dumb question, but

In reply to: Probably a dumb question, but

Not really a dumb question...

It depends on what kind of Windows XP installation CD you have. If you have an UPGRADE CD, then it would work in the manner in which you have described. However, a FULL PRODUCT CD has to be installed on a clean hard drive. You COULD install it on top of what you already have on your hard drive, but then you will get a message that says that if you do so, ALL of your programs will lose their settings, and they would have to be reinstalled. Hence, it is better to install it on a clean hard drive. This would not happen with and UPGRADE CD, which WOULD keep all the settings intact.

Collapse -
you wrote

"Wouldn't the new program install over the old without losing all the other files and data? "

Why don't you have a back-up? Read this or any other forum for a while and you will see how easy it is to lose everything.

Collapse -
Yes, do have a back-up, I think!

In reply to: you wrote

After running all security programs I cloned (?) my hard drive to an external HD. Is it a real back-up? Don't know for sure. Recently I had OS problems, self inflicted, and bought a new copy of XP Home and it installed itself over, or replaced, the old one. At least I think that's what it did. Didn't lose any settings or data.
Thanks for the info. Like I said, still learning!

Tom

Collapse -
Yes, I do have a backup, I think!

In reply to: Yes, do have a back-up, I think!

Well, what you have is a CLONED hard disk, which is not really a backup. It COULD work, but it would be a lot of trouble to have to hook up that disk just to CLONE it to your unworkable hard disk. That would be a lot of unnecessary work, wouldn't it?

I would highly recommend that you go to http://www.acronis.com and buy their Acronis TrueImage 9.0 Home and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 bundle. (The TrueImage is a great backup program and the Disk Director Suite is a powerful disk partitioning program that I use frequently.) Recommendation: No need pay extra to have a CD shipped to you, but DO pay the extra $6.00 to have the download service to always be able to download it on demand. I cannot tell you how many times I have used it!

After you have installed both programs, make an "Acronis Recovery CD", installing both programs onto the CD. There is no need to install the OS Switcher onto it UNLESS you DO use something other than Windows to bootup your computer. This Recovery CD will enable you to startup these programs and use them even though the computer will not bootup.

With the TrueImage backup program, you can also create an "Acronis Secure Zone", a special partition on your hard disk which is reserved for the backup ONLY, so it has less of a chance to become corrupted. You could also activate what they call the "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager". This will allow you to start the program by simply pressing F11 during the bootup sequence even though your computer will not bootup.

These programs are well worth the money you will spend on them. I WISH I were receiving a commission for the number of times I have recommended these programs! I'D BE RICH! :-D

Collapse -
Back-up

In reply to: Yes, I do have a backup, I think!

I used Acronis 9.0 to clone the hard drive. I don't usually have any "work" to save. If the pc's hard drive fails and needs to be replaced my thinking is replace the HD and then transfer the clone to the new HD, or am I erroneous in my thinking?

Thanks, Tom

Collapse -
Reply to Back-up

In reply to: Back-up

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to answer this, but I am new here and I didn't know that I could track each discussion so when someone answers me, I am e-mailed...

When you ask me the same question, Tom, you are going to get the same answer...

As I wrote in my first paragraph...
''Well, what you have is a CLONED hard disk, which is not really a backup. It COULD work, but it would be a lot of trouble to have to hook up that disk just to CLONE it to your unworkable hard disk. That would be a lot of unnecessary work, wouldn't it?''

At least that's the way I feel about it. You say you have Acronis TrueImage 9.0, so why not make full use of it? Why not set up the ''Secure Zone'' and activate the ''Startup Recovery Manager'' so all you would need to do is hit F11 during bootup--and fix it in a snap?
Why go through all the trouble to get out your second hard drive, hook it up, and boot up, start Acronis TrueImage, activate the program, wait for it to shut down your computer, wait for Acronis to start at reboot, go through all the steps to clone one drive to the other, restart and shut down the computer, unhook the second hard drive, and then restart the computer and hope it works? (Not every clone operation works, so you might have to do it again, and even that may not work.)

You CAN do whatever you want to do, but as for me, I'm too fat and lazy to even WANT to go through all that extra work! Wink I like to live the simple life and try to keep away from complications. I don't even like life in the fast lane, but would rather see the scenery and stop to smell the roses (and hope a bee doesn't come out and sting me on the nose!) Wink

Collapse -
it can be done

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.