PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Installing a new motherboard

i'm about to buy a new motherboard and before i get it i need to know how to install it. any body know how to do this? i can't find any pages on it anywhere.

my specs:
Intel P4 2.80 ghz
1024mb RAM
160gb hard drive

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing a new motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing a new motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
replacing motherboard...

In reply to: Installing a new motherboard

www.google.com/search?q=replacing+motherboard

Transplanting the CPU:
www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=installing+CPU

~Wayne

Good luck. Make sure the new board matches the socket number of your old. (i.e. Socket 478) Be careful and watch out for static electricity, it will fry oyur delicate new board. (a grounded wrist strap is best)

Collapse -
replacing a motherboard

In reply to: replacing motherboard...

thankyou for your help. how do you find out which socket type it is? my pc is a dell dimension 3000 if anybody knows what socket type that uses

Collapse -
865GV

In reply to: replacing a motherboard

As per the specs for Dell Dimension 3000 it is based on the 865GV Intel chipset. It uses the 478 Pin processor which is outdated and you may not find a matching mother board for this processor these days. It is not wise to upgrade your PC with this processor. If your mother board does not have an AGP slot and you want to upgrade anyway then replace both the motherboard and processor. You can use the existing DDR SDRAM. Select a mother board with a newer chipset having PCIe and supporting the latest processors.

Collapse -
865gv

In reply to: 865GV

do you know how much this would cost. thanks for your help

Collapse -
some questions

What computer model name (example: Dell dimension 4400)?

What is your current motherboard manfacturer name and model number (download and run CPU-Z to learn this)?

Are you replacing a problematic board or are you looking to gain funtionality/compatibility?

Collapse -
some questions

In reply to: some questions

i have a dell dimension 3000 and i want to expand it so that i can have a pci-e and/or agp slot so that i can buy a new graphics card. do you know how to find out the manufacturer of the board because i am clueless. i only know how to replace a grapgics card.

thanks

Collapse -
Possible money pit

In reply to: some questions

In addition to what others have stated, this motherboard upgrade may be more coslty than you think.

Upgrade motherboard to one with AGP or PCI Express X16
Upgrade to dedicated video card
Likely PSU upgrade needed.
Likely new Windows XP license needed.

For all money potentially spent, you may be better off building a completely new computer box with a faster CPU that will give you better overall performance.

Collapse -
Possible money pit

In reply to: Possible money pit

i might consider it but i don't want to get ripped off by dell again. the person i spoke to on the phone said that there was plenty of room to expand but there isn't.

Collapse -
Installing a Motherboard

The Motherboard is it coming from Dell or retailer, if coming from Dell most likely the case leads will match the MB connections.
Even with costom built computer, the case leads do not always match up to the MB conectoins.

Many times I had to costomize the case leads to match the MB connections. (Not Hard)

(Patience, Patience, Patience, is the name off the game)

It is a lot off fun (enjoy):

This link may help you, and you can learn a lot from it.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/9/

Good luck
Wendell H

Collapse -
installing a motherboard

In reply to: Installing a Motherboard

thanks dude

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!