PC Hardware forum

General discussion

installing a better video card.

by keithathome / January 22, 2005 5:24 AM PST

I would like input before I start to upgrade my video card. I am running XP sp2, 2.0Ghz P4, 768 ram. I have a NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti 4200 4X AGP 64MB. I am going to replace it with a NVIDIA XFX G-Force MX 4000 AGP 8X 128MB. Is there any Known problems? Do I need to uninstall my current video drivers first?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing a better video card.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing a better video card.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Aren't cards in the MX family
by Ray Harinec / January 22, 2005 5:38 AM PST

"Value cards" ?? Maybe get less performance.

Maybe John Robie or Robert Proffitt or any of the gamers will know for sure.

Collapse -
Value Cards?
by keithathome / January 22, 2005 5:47 AM PST

The only thing I know is that the card I want to put in is an 8X AGP 128MB and the card that I have already installed is 4X AGP 64MB. Seem like it should be 2 times better.

Collapse -
I buy the MX cards because they are low price
by Ray Harinec / January 22, 2005 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Value Cards?

versions of the better cards with fewer features. I have real demands for fast video. Gamers would be embarrassed to use them from what I read. If you want more speed, I would suggest that you, at least, go to one with a later model chip.

My advice is that you check with others. Hopefully others will respond here

See what other forums that CNET has here and post in an appropriate one that has some gamers stuff in it.

Collapse -
video cards
by keithathome / January 22, 2005 6:09 AM PST

I already have the geforce mx 4000 AGP 8X 128MB DDR. Is it worth the trouble to put it in where the geforce4 Ti AGP 4X 64MB is currently installed?

Collapse -
My feedback
by Tom Aikman / January 22, 2005 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: video cards

Other than increased memory size, I don't think you'll see much of an improvement with games.

~Tom

Collapse -
In all seriousness, make some
by Ray Harinec / January 22, 2005 7:55 AM PST

timed and ? tests before changing the board [since you already own it] Then put the new one in and run the same tests.

Then you will be able to give others advice on the subject. And please post the results in this thread. It will really be of interest. This is how we learn.

The instructions that came with the card or on the CD will tell you if you have to remove the old drivers, and do it for you, usually, if needed.

Remember to post in this thread even if not for days. When you do post the results, the thread will percolate back to the top of the first page.

Good luck. I hope that the card gives great improvements.

Collapse -
video cards
by keithathome / January 22, 2005 12:41 PM PST

Well, I believe I'll go ahead and put the 8X in. Seems to me that it should be better since everything is doubled. When I do I'll post the results. Thanks for all the input
Keith

Collapse -
Sure, go ahead and see, but you may be
by John Robie / January 22, 2005 1:33 PM PST

a little disappointed. Unless you have a fairly recent motherboard with an 8x slot, the 8x card will run at 4x.
Nvidia has stated that the GF4 MX 4000 8x 128MB is a
low-cost version of its GeForce4 MX440-8x for cost-effective personal computers.

I believe you will find the GF4 TI 4200 4x 64MB slightly better or you will not be able to tell the difference. When that 64MB TI4200 card came out there were some sites that indicated the 64MB was estimated/advertised low by Nvidia to keep it in a price range below the TI 4400 card. Some claim the 64MB performed as well as the 128MB.

Look at a couple of comparing charts. It looks like in games the GF4 TI 4200 64MB 4x out did the GF4 MX 440-8x 128 MB.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-05.html

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-06.html

You should not have to change the Drivers or mess with the BIOS. Those cards should swap out without problems.

Collapse -
Hey John glad that you dropped in.
by Ray Harinec / January 23, 2005 3:05 AM PST

I mentioned you in my first response as one to provide a good answer.

Too bad that he already has the new card.

Collapse -
Hi Ray.
by John Robie / January 23, 2005 3:28 AM PST

Yes, I noticed you mentioned my name...thanks.

Keith, with his almost same post in three other CNet forums said he already had the MX 4000 card. It may have been given to him...can be purchased for less than $40, the MX 440-8x can be had for $42-$45. The Ti 4200 4x 64MB when 1st came out was around $200. If it can be found, it still is higher in price than the MX 4000 or MS 440-8x. I recently found one listed for $82.

Collapse -
Swaping Video Cards
by keithathome / January 23, 2005 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Ray.

Thanks for all the input. The MX 4000 was purchased as a replacement for a card that was failing in my pc at work,(25.00 after rebate at Tiger Direct). However, I repaired the card at work (Fan needed cleaned) and was wondering if this card would be better than the one in my home pc. I think I will leave well enought alone and just use the card as a spare. I didn't mention the the 4X card has a digital output and the 8X does not. I apoligize for posting this in 2 other forums, didn't know that was wrong, I just wanted to get as much input on this topic as I could. I guess it's one question, one forum. This was the first time I had ever asked a question on any of cnets forums.
Thanks
Keith

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.