PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Installing 2nd SATAII drive without RAID ... possible???

by Dumbpeni / November 25, 2009 3:20 AM PST

I think I can install a second SATA drive in my desktop and activate it in BIOS whenever I need it to back up my first SATA with my backup program Windows LIve, then I can deactivate it in BIOS and leave it there... Can I do that? My reason is that I am tired of lugging back and forth the enclosure with the dangling transformer like a yo-yo! Enclosures is fine for occassional back ups and put away in a safe place. What I need is frequent backups without having to burrowing under my desk to plug in the dumb transformer... I know I can use smaller hard drives (laptop type) enclosures that is powered only by USB cable. But I already have my old enclosures ...Stick with my first question above.... Can I install a second SATA drive in my desktop without too much fanfare or fuss..?? Will there be any risks??? I plan to leave both programs and data in the first drive and backup data only in my second drive in my desktop...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing 2nd SATAII drive without RAID ... possible???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing 2nd SATAII drive without RAID ... possible???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's what MS says
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2009 4:16 AM PST
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/prodinfo/backuprestoredetails.htm

Sounds like no backup to internal drive. You can certainly install a second SATA drive if you have a port available. Having two drives does not constitute a RAID array automatically. I also don't understand why you'd want to enable/disable a second drive in the BIOS but I've never seen that particular option. You can change the emulation mode sometimes and I've seen separate controllers for ports that allow RAID configurations but not to turn them off.
Collapse -
I want to know if I can put in a second SATA drive...
by Dumbpeni / November 26, 2009 2:35 PM PST
In reply to: Here's what MS says

What I need to know is whether a RAID setup is required in order to install a second, third, fourth, fifth drive in my desktop that has 7 drive bays!!!!!! Also, the reason I think it is a good practice to disable the second drive or more drives when you dont need to use them is to save electricity as well to protect them from viruses and malwares,etc. My motherboard only has two or four SATA connections, I am not sure. I do have drive enclosures for backup purposes, but I hate the transformer that comes with it... Why cannot I use the front bays to swap hard drives in special trays like the IT guys do, I guess. I just cannot fathom in today's technology age that we still use transformers for drive enclosures while our desktops already have the power supply boxes inside to power the enclousres .. Holy crap!

Collapse -
The manual
by Willy / November 27, 2009 12:16 AM PST

Review the manual will tell what and what can't be done. If no manual or not part of the support CD/discs, then visit the mtrbd. maker and then download manual for that model#. Of course you need to know that RAID will require its ports to be usable. When those ports aren't RAID, they are also not part of the std. HD order of connection. The manual explains which ones will then be allowed for std. non-RAID system build. Each maker provides a method to connect, but again they do vary, so review the manual.

To answer your ?, you don't need RAID to install a 2nd HD up to possibly 4 HDs, total(maybe). But, these have to be connected to non-RAID ports ID'ed in the manual.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I answered that already
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2009 2:55 AM PST

Setting up RAID isn't required just because you add another drive. Generally, only specific ports can be used for RAID arrays and these can often just be used as single drive connections. As for disabling individual drives in the BIOS, if you can set a port to "none", that might work but it won't remove power from the drive so no electricity is saved. You can disable a drive in Windows but it will still be spinning. You might be able to use advanced power management to remove power to the drive after a certain time of non use but you'll find that only works when the entire PC has sat idle.

Collapse -
It would be a lot easier if there is 5 & 12 volt USBs
by Dumbpeni / December 5, 2009 3:11 AM PST

12 volt USB plugs can be wider so to prevent plugging in smaller 5 volt USB enclosures. Come to think of scanners , printers, etc that runs on 12 volt transformers, yuck! I like one single cord that carry both voltage and USB. Transformers has iron in it and who wants iron??????????? Also there ought to be power cords with different patterns on them so that you know which plug to pull out without having to trace it through the cord maze!!!! You can put yellow dots on one cord, lime dashes on other, etc.. Why is all power cords all black and it is dark under desks that you cannot sort out which cord is which!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!