General discussion

Installed VISTA on a DELL Dimension 3000.

Installed VISTA on a DELL Dimension 3000.I had a left over Dell Dimension 3000 from a job and set out to see if it would run Windows VISTA Home Premium Edition.I know a lot of people own Dell Dimension 3000's and may want to upgrade to VISTA but were told it can't be done...I have it working perfectly and as fast as lightning and here is how much it cost and what hardware to add.1. I installed a DVD drive. $44.2. 1 and 1/2 GB's of memory. $100.3. Vista automatically loaded all drivers except analog audio.4. I went here and downloaded R145551 and installed it and the PC is running like a clock with audio.{The music is not digital or stereo but it is nice}Dimension 1100/B110.........R145551http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIM_CEL_1100&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

I am amazed at how fast it is.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installed VISTA on a DELL Dimension 3000.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installed VISTA on a DELL Dimension 3000.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Thanks!

That link and driver works perfectly!

Brilliant!

- Collapse -
Thanks

I also partitioned the hard drive and am dual booting Windows XP Home Edition and Windows Vista with Partition Magic's Boot Magic..

Really running smooth and I am impressed.

- Collapse -
nstalled VISTA on a DELL Dimension 3000

Hey JimmyCarters.com
ive recently installed vista on my dell dimension 3000 and like you i have no sound for some time. i followed the link you gave and thanks, i have sound.
i dont know with your computer if you are having problems with your direct3d after installing vista.( i have a, Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)) graphics card i think from looking at DXDIAG if you have any information please reply. im only 13 so im nether rich or clever so cheap if possible

tyhanks

- Collapse -
Re: Installed VISTA on a DELL Dimension 3000.

I plan on doing the same. Vista Home Premium on a Dell Dimension 3000.

I've got a 1/2 GB RAM right now. I can't tell: did you add a 1/2 GB or actually run it with 1/2GB total?

I'm only going to be running Media Center on it - that's it.

I was very tempted to get a new barebones system (would have cost about $350) but I've got this Dell now and it only needs to run MCE.

I'm going to try the 1/2 GB ram first.

It's been over a year now - any other gotchas?

Thanks

- Collapse -
Here is what I did.

I put a DVD drive in the Dell 3000 and two {1GB sticks of PC3200 ram}.

It ran Vista Home Premium perfectly.

- Collapse -
This is JimmyCarters.com's post

last year word for word.

dhrwfan cracks me up. I wrote it and he reposted it here word for word. I am old so if I am missing something here let me know.

- Collapse -
Forum Glitch

If you'll look carefully, it appears like respondents in this thread are directing their answers to YOU, not "dhrwfan".. In addition, if I do a search, I no longer find your post with the same text from that general time period..

So, I'll make a leap..... the forum software incorrectly applied the new username to your post.. It's happened before on these forums.. For some reason, incorrect usernames are occasionally applied to the posts of other folks.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
problem

i tried this.. and my dell popped up with 'missing required files. please contact vendor assistance'

CNET Forums

Forum Info