General discussion

Installed Norton 11 it erased by startup on winxp

Anyone know how to fix this problem

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installed Norton 11 it erased by startup on winxp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installed Norton 11 it erased by startup on winxp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What do you mean ...

with "it erased by startup". How did you come to that conclusion?

Kees

- Collapse -
Windows won't Startup and Icons are gone

I installed Norton 2011 to take out some virus and when it was finished
I turned the computer on and their was just my wall paper
I cannot access the internet I think it got rid of my password
I have the task manager to get around
When I try to restore the computer it tells me that it cannot due to group policy
ask the domain administrator
I don't have a XP disc to re-install
Have any advice

- Collapse -
Norton Bootable Recovery Tool

Hi Ren,

This is Mike from the Norton Support Team.

It sounds like you may have had a paritularly nasty infection which may have damaged important Windows files. As long as you purchased Norton, you can download and create a Norton Bootable Recovery Tool which may be able to rescue your computer. You will need your Activation Key for this tool. Pleae follow the instructions in the following document.

Create a Norton Bootable Recovery CD

Thanks,
Mike

- Collapse -
Norton Recovery Tool

I inserted the program but it wants me to open the browser
I can't open the browser b/c my computer lost the information on how to connect to the internet
Is their a way I can find out how I can get back on-line
It tries to connect I just don't know where to look in the files
Maybe my password was erased for the internet connection

- Collapse -
Download and create on another computer

Hi Ren,
Since you are unable to get on the internet, I would suggest that you pull up the page with the instuctions and create the CD on another computer. You will then use the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool to startup and repair the problematic computer.

Thanks,
Mike

- Collapse -
Re: won't startup

One thing to try:
a. Make a new user account (with administrator rights) - if necessary boot into Safe Mode to do that.
b. Log in as that new user and see if everythings works as expected. In that case, all you've got to do is copy your personal stuff out of your old account and delete that.

If this doesn't work, it's a case of fatal virus damage. Can happen. Then it's time to execute your recovery plan. As you say you don't have the XP disc to reinstall, your most promising options are:
- find out if there's a possibility to go back to factory settings by booting into a recovery partition
- find out if you can order system recovery media from the maker
- buy an XP disc (be sure it comes with a license that you can use)
- switch to Windows Vista or Windows 7 (buy and install)

I assume you have a backup of all your personal data, because those will be overwritten by any of the above methods. If not, you'll have to execute your save-my-files-in-case-of-emergency plan also. The best options for that are:
- get the disk out and copy everything to 2 other safe places before putting it in again
- get the disk out and buy another one to install the OS on (doesn't work with a recovery partition)
- boot from a Linux Live CD and copy everything to an external hard disk or burn it to DVD

Best of luck with all of this.

Kees

Beste of luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info