Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installed Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and comp isn't loading

by ShyDarkness / November 3, 2008 12:35 PM PST

I'd appreciate any help what so ever.

I had that antivirus xp 2008 program and I downloaded the Malwarebyte's Anit-Malware to get rid of it. It worked but then I got messages popping up after the restart that all the programs that I had programmed to load at the beginning were being shut down and experiencing errors. When I clicked to load internet explorer I had the same message come up.

Just to be safe, I restarted my computer and pressed f8 and tried to load my computer in safe mode. After I logged into my computer my computer just shut down and now it won't even load into windows before shutting down.

After it shut down after the 5th time I pressed f8 again and this time enabeled "Disable automatic restart on system failure." After I logged in the computer didn't shut down but a blue screen came up and it said the following:

Stop: c000219 {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down

My laptop is a Dell with Windows XP Home Edition Model MA2A

I have no idea what's going on, but the "fatal system error" phrase keeps ringing in my head. I have a lot of important files on my computer. If they're lost then I don't know what I'll do.

If more information is needed just ask. I'd really appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installed Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and comp isn't loading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installed Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and comp isn't loading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Suggestion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 1:06 PM PST

Try using "Last Known Good Configuration" by restarting the computer, then immediately start pressing F8, once per second, till the selection screen loads.. Use the up/down arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration", then press the "Enter" key.. If you're lucky, it will restore back to when things were good.

As to: "If they're lost then I don't know what I'll do", that's one is usually fairly easy.. Use the backups that you've made of those extremely important files and use the recovery discs Dell has provided to reinstall the operating system.. If you have the full XP CD, you could try a "repair" install but unfortunately, if the system is so badly infected with malware, it may be a better solution to format, then reinstall everything form scratch..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you for trying to help.
by ShyDarkness / November 5, 2008 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just A Suggestion...

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried three times doing it the way you suggested. I'm not sure where else to go from here, except for reinstalling all the software. Anymore suggestions?

As for the backups, I knew I was playing with fire by not backing anything up so I had ordered an external hard drive, and of course the day before it's due to arrive, this situation ocurred.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

Collapse -
You can still save your data ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2008 2:00 AM PST

if it isn't encrypted by downloading and using a bootable Linux CD such as KNOPPIX (there are actually several other distros also).

If you aren't familiar with the Linux Operating System this link will get you "up to speed" enough to locate and save your data -
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

The instructions are for an older version of KNOPPIX but they will provide the guidance needed for newer versions too.

Alternatively, if you don't want to go that route because you think it might be too "confusing" you could also create a BartPE bootable CD -
http://bart.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Both will write to both CD/D VD writers or USB storage media.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.