TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Installation of Onkyo 805 with KEF KHT-3005 5.1 home theater

by pkbothers / September 10, 2008 11:44 AM PDT

Finally I bought Onkyo 805 receiver for my KEF KHT-3005 5.1 speaker system. Can you guys help me to clarify couple of question?

1. I want to install it my self, is there any link where can I get help how to install?
2. What wire i should use to connect the receiver to speaker for best sound?
3. Any other tips for installation and get best sound out of these two combinations.

Thanks in Advance
Cheers
PK

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installation of Onkyo 805 with KEF KHT-3005 5.1 home theater
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installation of Onkyo 805 with KEF KHT-3005 5.1 home theater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
-
by jonnybones / September 10, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

Wow, that's a great combination. I have setup the same one in our store before and it was awesome. I would recommend at least 16 AWG wire, if you have 14 or 11 that would be better but not necessary (if you choose monster that's up to you, non-monster wire in the larger gauges may be difficult to come across). In terms of installation, what do you mean? You just cut the speaker wire and hook it up.

On the Onkyo I would play with the equalizer for the speakers, pumping up whatever frequency is close to 100Hz by a few dB on the EQ (+2 maybe). If your speakers are not equal in distance to your listening position you can adjust the delays (speaker distance) and volume level of each speaker to your liking. I might also turn up the bass at the 63Hz level on the woofer (or whatever the lowest is on your Onkyo's EQ) if you care about bass. That dual-firing woofer setup is capable of way more than the manufacturer says.

I guess you could say that the best way to find out the best settings is to tweak it to your specific room/liking. If you are going to be using it for music find a reference song (one that you KNOW what it supposed to sound like) and adjust your speakers based on that. Personally, I use "Crazy on You by Heart" as one of my reference songs.

Collapse -
Hello
by jostenmeat / September 10, 2008 5:31 PM PDT

1. Yes, here is the 705 FAQ at AVS. Yes, it will look tremendously overwhelming. Simply sign up, then use the search function to find any specific thing. Pretty amazing what consumers do for their fellow man. Anyways, this is the most extensive FAQ I have ever seen. A lot of it, if not all, will apply to your 805

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935808

2. Just get a gauge that is thick enough. Im sure the 14 g that jb recommends would be plenty fine. Im using 16 g (thinner) and Im not worried even though all runs are over 10 ft, and 6/7 speakers are 4 ohm minimal. (thickness desired is a function of MINIMAL impedance and speaker wire length). 14 should be plenty. 16 is probably plenty, unless you are going very long.

3. See #1.

Sorry to scare you! but its an excellent resource... Happy

Collapse -
oh regardin the EQ he recommends
by jostenmeat / September 10, 2008 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello

that is something different entirely. it depends on your

1 room acoustics
2 speakers/sub placement
3 listener placement

and simple level adjust, particularly in the bass, is only effective for the exact place you took that measurement. typically anyways.

use the audyssey, and read those instructions. increase sub gain afterward to taste if it doesnt run hot enough for you if you would like.

the biggest setup thing to concern yourself with is the placement of speakers. IMO, this far outweighs all of the little things you could tinker with in the receiver. JMO.

Collapse -
A handy source for speaker wire is Home Depot. Yes, they
by NM_Bill / September 11, 2008 12:22 AM PDT

have cable specifically labeled as speaker wire (because of the type of braid.) It is absolutely fine without wasting any money.

Over my 45 years into hi-fi sound, until recently (in my self-indulgent older age) I just used "zip" cord which is simply light weight type extension cord wire.

Just to demonstrate that there will always be someone violate an extreme, my long time dealer told of a fairly self-reliant customer who bought all at once a $15,000 or so (& this was around 20 years ago) setup. He hadn't inquired about installation. He did return with a frown that he wasn't getting the kind of sound he anticipated at all. The dealer did care & did a house call. Turns out, the customer wanted to minimize bulky wire fishing so his expensive speakers were strung with bell wire. Yes, tiny bell wire. No wonder the range was muffled.

Yes, in my final iteration for music, with reference receiver pushing bi-amped B&W 804s, I splurged on dealer basic speaker cable & it truly must be over kill. Dealer sold speaker cable is always a fat profit margin item for them. Why the heck do you think big box salesmen are programmed to hard sell Monster Cable. Well, maybe 75% profit margin.

805 & KEF 3005 - nice rig. Have fun enjoying it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?