Desktops forum

General discussion

installation of a laser printer

by MRTIGRE1 / August 14, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

hello;
I currently have a dell dimension with windows XP. I recently became the owner of a epson 1500 laser printer. the neighbor gave me everything he had in a shopping bag and wished me luck. I installed it with what seemed no problem all and and installed the drivers ok. I was replacing a dell printer. when I went to run a test page on the laser printer it wouldn't print the page. I did a test page sucessfully on the laser printer by running it independently from the computer. it's just when I connect it to the windows XP dell system that I have problems.
The printer is hooked up with parallel cables and the computer treats it like an unconnected printer. I called epson and they can't figure it out as to what is happenning. Does a laser printer need a special print card inserted where the other one currently is? any help on this is greatly appeciated thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installation of a laser printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installation of a laser printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: laserprinter
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2007 7:02 AM PDT

No special card necessary at all. Just as you did: plug it in and install the drivers the new hardware wizards prompts you for. Or install the drivers from the CD and then plug in. For the average parallel printer the sequence doesn't really matter in my experience; but you might have a look in the installation guide or user guide that surely is on the CD to see what they say about it.

If the test page prints OK when run with the buttons on the printer, and all cables are rightly connected and there's no problem in Device Manager with the printer and still you get an error message like "printer not connected" when printing (both a test page and a normal page) it's time to dive into the user guide again and read the troubleshooting pages.
But it might well be that the printer is somehow defective hardwarewise. Why not ask your neighbor to show it still works with him?

Kees

Collapse -
reply to laser printer
by MRTIGRE1 / August 14, 2007 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: laserprinter

hello;
I get no error message at all. it just doesn't print at all and the print file is not even held in the buffer it just disapears. we tried 2 or 3 new parallel cables but that didn't help. it seems to treat the printer as off line. every else looks normal and no errors.

Collapse -
Verify default printer
by Willy / August 14, 2007 7:08 AM PDT

Since, you replaced one printer with another be sure that your the laser is now the "default printer" that way when you direct print to it, it will respond correctly. Look in your XP printer setting and verify that, should be checked. I *assume* you're using the same prtr. cable as the old printer whcih is now disconneted??? Check that out and get back.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
hello
by MRTIGRE1 / August 14, 2007 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Verify default printer

yes I checked and thank you for your quick response. I do have default printer checked (or should I say, the software did it for me). the my computer control panel looks exactly the same as it did before. The epson engineer still on the the other hand think's it's still a bit of hardward incompatibatibility. but no one knows where to start.

Collapse -
Verify these
by Willy / August 14, 2007 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: hello

I would check to verify that the printer port is LPT1 or directed to go there, in most cases the default. Check the bios to see what if any setting for that LPT port is, usually a selection of SPP, EPP and ECP, use SPP, the most basic(play with it). As for the printer cable, make sure it "bi-directional" as lasers tend to want that, it maybe labeled as IEEE-1284 or 1224, I forget. If that model laser has a selection sw. itself, be sure its in "parallel/LPT mode". At the setting area where you verified earlier, use its properties button to do a test print rather than a dump from some pgm.. The above are quick checks to do.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.