Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Install XP PRO SP 2 to extended partition???

by dwightpaige79 / February 28, 2009 4:14 AM PST

On a computer with 2 Linux os's [openSUSE and Mandriva] already installed I would like to install Windows XP on available space in extended partition of HDD. Can this be done? Currently when I try the WinXP install CD it gets to partitioner and recognizes existing partitions and free space but it will not create a valid windows partition, such as NTFS or FAT32. It only creates something it calls "New (RAW)". It will not install to that or create a partition from that. I can delete that but it will only do the same thing all over again.

On Board video: C51PV [GeForce 6150]
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Os's: openSUSE 11.1 x86_64
Mandriva 2009.0 x86_64

Current partition set-up:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1594 12803773+ 83 Linux /
/dev/sda2 1595 12302 86012010 83 Linux /home
/dev/sda3 12303 13347 8393962+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 13348 38913 205358895 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 13348 14941 12803773+ 83 Linux /
/dev/sda6 14942 25649 86011978+ 83 Linux /home

Please be aware that I am not yet very Windows knowledgeable but would like to get there. Also let me know of any other info needed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install XP PRO SP 2 to extended partition???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install XP PRO SP 2 to extended partition???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 6:42 AM PST
Collapse -
RE: Install XP PRO SP 2 to extended partition???
by dwightpaige79 / February 28, 2009 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: All about it.

Thanks. I had seen that article earlier and was beginning to realize that I will have to delete my Mandriva partition, create linux-swap on an extended partition, create more space on a primary partition, install XP on that primary partition, and reinstall Mandriva on extended partition.

Collapse -
RE: Install XP PRO SP 2 to extended partition?
by dwightpaige79 / March 2, 2009 10:09 AM PST

Thanks, again for reply. What I did was remove Mandriva, leaving openSUSE only [that is where I put all data I needed to save] and repartitioning so I could install Windows on a primary partition. That worked except that so far Windows doesn't recognize my Ethernet device so no Internet... Since then I now have a fresh install of Windows XP with no Internet, yet, and a fresh install of Mandriva. Unfortunately I also don't have support CD for motherboard [ASUS MPV2-VM] close at hand and ASUS doesn't seem to offer the opportunity to download such and I'm poor so I'll wait until I can go to Mississippi and get my Windows driver/support cd's.

This is a 2003 install cd of XP but I am a little surprised it doesn't recognize my Ethernet device as I haven't run into that or even had to configure an OS for internet for a while. Oh, well. Gotta be something.

Collapse -
That's progress.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2009 7:32 PM PST

Microsoft supplies very little in the way of drivers. So few in fact that you should always have them ready. Those Linux distro's are spoiling you.

Collapse -
by dwightpaige79 / March 3, 2009 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: That's progress.

Um, yeah. I'm told that the look on my face the first time I ever installed Windows which was XP Pro about 2 tears ago was priceless. No software. Not much in the way of drivers. And I'd paid for it at the old Comp USA. I was flabberghasted. I mean no software at all. Getting used to it now 'cause school children in the family insist they HAVE to have Windows.

Thanks every one for your help. Hope one of the kids becomes REAL successful.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?