General discussion

Install xp, NO CDROM, Floppy, USB or Other pc

Hi, I want to install a fresh copy of XP home. The problem is I don?t have CDROM, Floppy, USB (driver gone crazy, tried everything humanly possible) and no other pc lol. I know it?s hopeless at these conditions but I have an idea and I hope it works with your help. I?ve downloaded a copy of XP home in which ill use my old broken laptop serial. I have 2 HDD?S connected to this pc; drive C: Fat32 OS partition which I want to format and install on it fresh XP copy, drive D: (same HDD as c) full of data that I need, drive G: different HDD almost full with needed data. Ok now is there a way to create a new very small drive/partition from windows and make it bootable and boot instead of normal C: OS boot to dos or whatever program, then I run setup of downloaded copy from dos to format and replace the copy on c: drive? Maybe use partition magic to resize and create a new partition from existing one?

Will this work? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Install xp, NO CDROM, Floppy, USB or Other pc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Install xp, NO CDROM, Floppy, USB or Other pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No Legal XP Home Download That I Know Of...

...therefore, we won't be discussing such on these forums.. More information regarding the specifics of your situation would sure help.. Computer make and model, etc.

On the other hand, WHY don't you have a CD-ROM or floppy on the machine? If they can be purchased, we do so and then use the legal XP CD to reinstall the operating system.. And if you have a computer which doesn't have the option for a CD-ROM, IF your BIOS is able to boot from a USB device, you might also be able to install from an external USB CD-ROM.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

- Collapse -
customized desktop

It?s a customized desktop, just bought it and paid every penny I have on parts (VGA, CPU,RAM) etc? didn?t have enough money to buy cdrom, floppy ? will be adding those along with vista cd in few days when I get some more cash?.thing is I have work now and need to install fresh copy bec. Drivers are conflicting?.. So that rules out the usb cdrom for now. I don?t own a windows xp cd, I used to work on an old laptop that has home edition and its serial is on the back of the laptop and I will use that serial on the downloaded copy ?.doesn?t that make it legal?!
is there any other workaround to this problem? is my idea going to work?

Thanks for reply

- Collapse -
Nope, OEM Copies Are Specific To The Computer

...and can not be transfered to another computer. And as mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with ANY legal download of Windows XP from Microsoft. If the XP sticker is on the other computer, the original equipment operating system sticks with the laptop.

That said, if it's a desktop, DVD/CD burners are really cheap and can be order online.. See the link below:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=5&name=CD-DVD-Burners

The operating system is another deal.. Still, there are free OS like Ubuntu, etc.

And since you're still talking about an illegally downloaded copy of XP, with an illegally used OS key, this thread is locked.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums