General discussion

Install XP from SP2 CD?

Hi.

I have my computer bios set so that it boots from CD, and I've formatted and re-installed windows before, now I was wondering if I can use the microsoft windows xp sp2 to install windows (as opposed to installing, and then applying sp2)?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Install XP from SP2 CD?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Install XP from SP2 CD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You'll need to slipstream SP2 first
- Collapse -
the short answer is no

and just a word of advice....

the latest "buzzword" is "slipstream" (i.e. integrate SP2 and XP before the install) but you should know! if anything stops working on your computer due to SP2 (and believe me, there are a LOT of things that are not 'exactly' SP2 compliant) to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to uninstall SP2 if you slipstream...

i would suggest, install XP, check that everything is OK, then install SP2, that way, if anything gets reamed out by SP2 you have always got the option to uninstall, check what happened, fix it, and then try again...

jonah "lost the use of a pefectly good CD burner due to slipstreaming SP2" jones

- Collapse -
Thank-you

Thanks very much for your reply dhostetter, that website is **extremely** helpful and detailed, well done!

Jonah, if that does happen, shouldn't I just be able to format the hard-drive and then install xp normally, and then everything would be fine again? Or not?

... By the way, I always thought of slipstreaming as some sort of really intelligent, hi-tech process, but after reading that article, it's actually really easy.

Hope you reply to the question jonah.

- Collapse -
a reformat is always possible :-)

just thought to save you the time and trouble

Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info