Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Install WinXP using new disc w/SP2 or upgrade to SP2?

by Arylessence / April 10, 2005 11:31 PM PDT

I'm in the process of building a new PC to replace my current one. I'll be doing a clean install on a new hard drive. I a have Windows XP Home disc and key, but it is old. It doesn't even have SP1 on it. I want to get the most out of my new system, so I'd like to know the best strategy for installing Windows XP. Should I find and use a Windows XP Home disc that already has SP2 on it for the install? Or, am I just as well off using my Windows XP Home disc that doesn't have any SP's, and then upgrading it using a SP2 disc that I received from Microsoft? My thinking is that perhaps an install of XP followed by an upgrade to SP2 will not result in a system that is as efficient as just using a XP disc that already has SP2. Speculation aside, does anyone have experience with this or know if someone has done performance studies to find out if there is a difference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install WinXP using new disc w/SP2 or upgrade to SP2?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install WinXP using new disc w/SP2 or upgrade to SP2?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few things to read
by AussiePete / April 11, 2005 12:13 AM PDT

Firstly you can create a slip stream CD with SP2 this site shows you how.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

As for clean install of SP2 see this MS article
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

Also best to read this article about best practice for partitioning your hard disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348

I am sure you will find the best way is to clean install SP2 using the above partitioning rather than upgrade from SP1.

Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
Also
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 11, 2005 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: A few things to read

you have to think about the legal side if you went for a used Windows Home CD with SP2 on it.

If I understand you correctly, you mean use someone elses Win XP Home CD, but as they purchased it and have the license for it, you don't. It would have to be authenticated once you're up and running and online, and would probably fail if it was someone elses.

In my view you need either a slipstreamed CD like Pete says, from your original XP CD and SP2, or install XP Home from your own CD, upgrade to SP2 with the CD you got from Microsoft, then authenticate it using the serial number from your XP CD disk.

Mark

Collapse -
It's my disc
by Arylessence / April 11, 2005 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Also

The disc that I used to create a slip stream disc is mine. I purchased it shortly after Windows XP was released. My old system consists of an AMD K6/2-450, 256MB PC100 ram, and an AOpen AX-59Pro motherboard. Needless to say, performance was kind of lacking with Windows XP, but it did run.

Collapse -
I see that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 12, 2005 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: It's my disc

you have slipstreamed SP2 and XP Home onto a CD and you're installed and up and running.

Well done.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Arylessence / April 11, 2005 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: A few things to read

I created a slip stream disc with SP2 using the instructions in the link that you provided. Thank you very much! The instructions were well written and made a pretty involved process as easy as it could be. My new system is up and running now. Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And thanks for posting back!!!
by AussiePete / April 13, 2005 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.