General discussion

Install Windows XP without a CD

My hard drive recently crashed and I had to buy a new one. My HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop came with Windows XP preloaded, so I don't have a windows cd. I do have a legal product key that came with the laptop for Windows.

I need to download a windows xp installer, make a bootable cd and load it on my new hard drive and put in my product key that I have.

Unfortunately, I can't find a windows xp home edition online that allows me to do this that isnt illegal (with a product key that comes with it) or one that you have to purchase.

Is there any way I can put Windows on my new hard drive if I own a product key?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Install Windows XP without a CD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Install Windows XP without a CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Talk to HP

Talk to HP, get them to send you some recovery media. Might cost you $20 or so, but it will be your easiest solution by far.

- Collapse -
If the computer was new
- Collapse -
While I too suggest ...

obtaining the recovery disks from HP you may have another option.

Unless the hard drive is corrupted or you have changed the OS, try running the recovery by turning on the power and pressing the f11 key to run a recovery from the recovery partition. If the program on the recovery partition does not work, order a replacement recovery disc from HP.

This link tells you how to get recovery media -
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01883653

- Collapse -
solution for tis problem

you can install any windows xp with other key and you can chnage the key by using key finder tool

CNET Forums

Forum Info