Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Install windows xp Home on sata drive (320G)

by danneauxs / February 9, 2009 7:52 AM PST

Searched and cound't find anything matching exactly or helpful.

Mobo is Biostar p4m90-m7c fe

Bios finds 320G SATA drive fine.

Put Win XP HOme (original version from wayyyyyyy back) in cd=drive. XP boots from disk and sees the drvie but ONLy as 130 or so Gigs. I realize this is a limititation of xp prior to all the service packs, but how do I get around it? BTW there is no Floppy in the computer (none of my puters have working floppys!)

I thought I'd be tricky and installed the disk to my other winxp machine and formatted the drive into a 40G and 280G partitions both primary the 40G first. Retried the new machine and it didn't recognize the partitions and listed only one unknown drive of about 130 gigs.

Looked int he bois and didn't see a setting for ide/raid for the sata. I've read where you can F6 durring the install and load additional drivers but all those post linked to external sources for key information and those links were dead.

How can I get around this limitation? If I need to load drivers during the install I assume I can burn them to a cd on my other computer and f6 during the install to load them, but what drivers am I looking for if this is the way to go? If not how can I get all of my drive available.

Oh, I did try simply letting install format the 130 partition hoping that when I finished the install the rest of the drive would show up as unpartioned but that didn't work out.

TIA for any help

Danneauxs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install windows xp Home on sata drive (320G)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install windows xp Home on sata drive (320G)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch. 2 Strikes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 8:53 AM PST

The 127GB limit is proper for XP (original crispy flavor.)

To fix this you want a newer XP Home SP2 CD. There are other crash and burn issues prior to XP SP2 CDs so this is why I don't bother unless the CD is the right version.

HOWEVER, if you are LUCKY enough to get XP installed, booting from the 130GB partition, install SP1 and magically the disk manager will let you get to the rest of the drive so you can partition and format the remaining space.

HOWEVER PART TWO, I wouldn't bother with SP1 or SP2 and just skip those and install SP3.
Bob

Collapse -
missed it by that much
by danneauxs / February 9, 2009 6:26 PM PST
In reply to: Ouch. 2 Strikes.

Excellent information! Install did manage to find the sata, partion it to 130 and install xp. IT was after that that I took the drive out and did a 40/280 partition using the other computer. I thought the 130 was a limitation of the install itself and that xp would find the rest once it booted. Now I know I should have updated to sp3. Live and learn

Great information thanks

Collapse -
Just "Slipstream" your original XP Cd
by Slikkster / February 9, 2009 10:34 AM PST

Slipstreaming creates a new CD with upgraded files. The upgrades could be your motherboard drivers (including SATA drivers) and/or a Windows Service Pack.

In your case, I would slipstream both your motherboard drivers AND Windows Service Pack 3. How? Use a free application called nLite.

Read my post in this thread (third post in the thread), and substitute your biostar drivers for the places in my original post talking about Nvidia drivers:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=329362&messageID=2973999&tag=forums06;forum-threads

Collapse -
expert or noivce
by danneauxs / February 9, 2009 6:40 PM PST

I had come across references to nlite and one other in dozens of posts, but the links were broken leading to usage and download. Thanks for the relevent posting!!! Even if the above works ( I'll try it first just to see since I do all computer stuff for my entire family and the experience helps me seem like a god to them LOL) Seriously, I'm gonna at least make a new disk with sp3 on it. Didn't research this too much further since the posts I read said it was for experts. I'm well above novice on most things but below expert. Would have done it but it sounded like a promise of a lot of work and I thought someone might have a faster solution.

THanks again. BIG Help
Oh, actaully my install is the xp home "upgrade". I usually pop an old w95 disk in when it says it can't find a prev os; any way to slipstream some w95 files to the new cd to skip this step?

THanks again

Collapse -
you need a new disc
by mementh / February 9, 2009 11:22 AM PST

your version of xp is the original, you need to either get a updated version from the manufactuer of your computer ( HP Dell Gateway whatever) or slipstream it and make a new CD.. (sorry but no help there)

Collapse -
My First THought!!!
by danneauxs / February 9, 2009 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: you need a new disc

This occurred to me very quickly after my initial research showed up that later sp's solved this dilemma. I'm my computers builder so no help there. the WXPHome is an upgrade I bought when they first came out. Honestly, until the sata dilemma installs weren't a problem - I've managed to keep my machines running up to 4 years before I decide they need a fresh start and that's simply because I'm constantly adding and deleting new software - more adding than deleting as I get new hobbies like music editing, and video editing etc. The machines get clunky what with incomplete uninstalls etc. Cleaners only go so far after 100's of install/uninstalls. I like to start fresh every now and then.

I spent an hour on MS's site looking for a way to download an updated version of xp home. I thought surely a winxp sp3 install or upgrade disk would be available for download. Nope. No support on the sata problem either. I've hated ms for a long time and it grows. I use linux on my laptops and one pc and it's fine, but but most of my useful software is Windows based and updates are easier. I find it annoying having to go to a command prompt to type cryptic stuff when I purposefully using a GUI. Off topic sorry.

Slipstreaming seems to be the way to go. Not sure about driver though; a quick search of biostar site shows that with my mobo I shouldn't need any f6 drivers for xp; and since install does find them b ut is limited to 130G I'm guessing that the case. I'm assuming slipstreaming to sp3 will let install see the whole drive at install time. Or better yet the 40/280 partitions alread on there.

Thanks again for the help

Collapse -
networked install is what you want
by mementh / February 10, 2009 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: My First THought!!!
Collapse -
All is well and good in SATA land
by danneauxs / February 14, 2009 10:57 PM PST

Just want to thank everyone for all the great and FAST help. I never did get around to slipstream. I started the windows install while we were eating dinner and it was done by the time I finished. I still only had 130G available but I had earlier downloaded the sp3 iso and burned it to disk for a quick upgrade to see if the rest of the drive would show up. It did just as predicted by one of the respondents. Unfortunately, sp3 forced me to apply sp1 BEFORE I could install it. Acutally, on the off chance it would demand sp2 I used update to install that prior to sp3 anyway.

I'm still gonna look into the slipstream since I'm gonna redo my old machine. It's a 3 month old reinstall of xpH but one of my major pieces of software hasn't worked on it for 2 months so now that the other machine is up I've used this time to gather together all the software I want and am putting it all an install disks for fast deployment.

This forum is the best. Real help for people who know and don't just guess. Likens me back to the old BBS days. LOL

Thanks
Danneauxs

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 12:09 AM PST

Thanks for the nice words. Bob

Collapse -
Unlocking any drive (IDE or SATA) over 130 GIG!!!
by ramjet6969 / November 28, 2009 11:39 AM PST

Western Digital has software to allow drives larger that 137 GIG. Only trick is, if it isn't a Western Digital drive, it won't see it. Just use an old Western Digital drive (IDE or SATA) no matter what size or condition, and the program will redo your drives as long as 1 of theirs is in your machine. Hope this helps. If you need the prog, shoot me an e-mail.

Ramsey

Collapse -
This does not fix Windows XP limits.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 10:34 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.