Question

Install Win7 upgrade as dual boot with Win XP

I have a PC with XP Home and wish to upgrade it to Win 7-64. I purchased the Win 7 upgrade version. Will ditch XP when happy with getting programs installed in Win 7.

I also have a new drive that I wish to do the install of Win 7.

My plan is to hookup new drive, place Win 7 DVD in drive and run the install in Custom mode. This should install Win 7 on new drive and preserve Win XP on the old drive.

To register Win 7, I have the serial info from the Win XP system and will insert when asked. I'm concerned about whether this method to register will work correctly as I was told that Win 7 must find a windows.old file on the installation drive. Will it work OK?

Anything special that I should know when doing this?

Thanks,
RON C

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Install Win7 upgrade as dual boot with Win XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Install Win7 upgrade as dual boot with Win XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Not going to happen

Not going to happen. The upgrade versions of Windows do not come with a license. Instead, you transfer the license from your previous version of Windows to the new one (it's all automatic).

So, trying to install this as a dual boot would mean that your Windows 7 copy would be unlicensed, or pirated, and discussion of such things is against the rules here. You're two choices here are to either upgrade over XP or go back and buy the full retail version of 7 that comes with a license, and install that as a dual boot.

- Collapse -
No intension to pirate Win 7

Intent is to only install Win 7 and continue to use XP other than to move files from XP to 7 disk as I get the programs installed on Win 7. I need to move Adobe CS5 from the XP to 7 disk but have to go through the Adobe stuff of deactivate on XP, install on 7 and then reactivate on 7. I have others that are much the same.

I need to retain XP for as long as I get Win 7 up to do tasks I normally do on XP.

RON C

- Collapse -
Then as I said

Then as I said, you will need the full retail version of Windows 7, NOT the upgrade version. Because even if your intention is to eventually get rid of XP, the fact will remain that until that day comes, you are running a pirated copy as far as Microsoft is concerned. There are no provisions in the EULA for what you are looking to do. So short of getting written dispensation from Microsoft's legal department, you have one option open to you.

- Collapse -
Windows 7 Dual Boot

Hi,

Make installation disc of Windows 7 and then create a partition in XP
hard drive by resizing it. Freeup some disc space, then make a new
partition in it and insert the installation cd. Follow the installation
wizard and boot up Windows 7 in your computer.

- Collapse -
That will fail!

The Win 7 disk the OP has is an "Upgrade" disk. It will not install as a stand alone OS.

Mark

- Collapse -
It'll also be

It'll also be a pirated copy, because the license will have remained with XP, and Windows 7 will still be unlicensed.

- Collapse -
Answer
The only way you can do this.

You have the Windows 7 Upgrade disk. The only way you can do this is to upgrade XP to Windows 7.

But the process itself is not an upgrade. Microsoft made this that the process over-writes everything to do with XP as if in a fresh installation. More here;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

So, to do this correctly, you will need to save all of those personal files you need before you start the upgrade process. An external hard drive will do nicely for that.

But beware, programs don't move from one OS to another. They never have done in Windows. So applications like Adobe and others you can only "reinstall" from the original setup CD or downloaded setup file, once the new OS is installed and complete. So you will need to preserve any licensing numbers and serial numbers as well before the upgrade.

Sorry, it's a hard method, and time consuming.

One final thing. Windows doesn't do drivers very well, so don't expect the Win 7 install to find the correct and compatible drivers that worked with XP. You may have to find those yourself afterwards from the manufacturers' web sites.

Mark

CNET Forums