General discussion

Install/Use MS Backup on Windows XP Home (OEM System)

Hi folks,

Can this be done? My OEM (Dell) has adopted the disgusting practice of backing up OS media to a hidden/restore partition on the hard drive; which can only be accessed via (yep, you guessed it) the Restore Disk (shudder).

Nice idea for the brain-dead, but not very practical otherwise. Why? No repair by System CD option, no extracting handy little utilities from OS Disk, no re-formatting harddrive with just what ya want.

Worst of all, I want to implement a regular, differential backup routine but am unable to do so with native OS software due to my OEM's shortsighted engineering.

Would rather not have to purchase/install a third party utility when I know for a fact that MS Backup will do just what I need.

Any help/suggestions out there?

TIA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Install/Use MS Backup on Windows XP Home (OEM System)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Install/Use MS Backup on Windows XP Home (OEM System)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most I know are disgusted with MSBackup. Here's why.

It doesn't support CDRW or DVDRW.

Bob

- Collapse -
Valid Point ... Forgot About MSBackup's Media Limitations!

Can you and the CNet community suggest viable alternatives? I would be using CD-DVD RW Media for backup.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Try Simply Backup.
- Collapse -
I'm curious, how old is your computer?

I have a Dell and I got an XP CD with mine plus resource CD with the drivers. I wonder when they changed?

- Collapse -
System 'Age'

Purchased this system early January 2005.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i have new dell has both
- Collapse -
Both what?

Both Installable OS CD Media as well as a hidden 'recovery' partition on your hard-drive?

Sure wish I would have been offered a choice, darn it.

- Collapse -
Contact Dell and request

an XP CD. You paid for the operating system when you purchased the computer. If it was me, I'd insist upon it. My Mother bought a new Dell approximately 6 months ago. She either didn't get an XP CD or she lost it. We contacted Dell and they sent her one.

- Collapse -
dvd backup os system restore partition

I do not have a Dell system but my HP came with the same system restore partition instead of a Win XP pro installation CD. There was an option of making one backup set of dvd's which copyied all contents of the system restore partition to a BOOTABLE dvd image set. (Not a true Windows boot, but an F-10 option of HP system restore at boot-up.) It then offered the option of wiping the D restore partition leaving my restore system facility off computer on dvd. If this option is offered to you, take it and wipe the D partition clean. That will take care of the annoying backup problem you are having. Besides, in case of a disastrous hard disk failure, having a bootable system restore set on dvd is a much better rescue bet.

CNET Forums

Forum Info