Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Install Service Pack 3 WITHOUT installing IE7?

by BrentHartzell / April 14, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

as the title states.... can this be done?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install Service Pack 3 WITHOUT installing IE7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install Service Pack 3 WITHOUT installing IE7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In a round about way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 1:10 AM PDT

Install it all then dust off IE7.

Be sure to research this on google as I know I read about it. It's really a non-issue but there are some that will want to tailor their install.

If you want, why not make your own custom XP install with the following tools you can find on google?

The tools (name only so you can find them):

NLITE
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
HOW TO SLIPSTREAM WINDOWS XP

Bob

Collapse -
enterprise push
by BrentHartzell / April 14, 2009 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: In a round about way.

Well here's the thing, I am in an enterprise standpoint. I need to push SP3 out Via Shavlik NetChk to about 150 Pc's. So its not a stand alone push. I didnt know if the Service Pack could be modified to eliminate IE7.

Collapse -
You didn't tell that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: enterprise push

Next time, don't hold back on such details.

Given this story, why didn't you pick up the phone and call Microsoft? You're in the big league not the bush league.
Bob

Collapse -
MS Support
by BrentHartzell / April 14, 2009 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: You didn't tell that.

Well calling MS was my next step. They dont have the best support when it comes to customizing their stuff. Their answer will be to install IE7. I will try to install the SP on some Virtual machines and experiment with IE.

Collapse -
OR...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: MS Support

Read what SP3 contains and install each of the KBnnnnnn items one by one.

Collapse -
installing sp3 without i.e 7
by adventcliff / April 14, 2009 7:29 AM PDT

Yes you can install sp3 without Internet Explorer 7. I got it on mine

Collapse -
installed today
by BrentHartzell / April 14, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

Thanks for the info guys, I test deployed the stand alone package to 10 pc's today and all went well. I'll be deploying to the remaining 140 or so pc's overnight. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Just a link from Mom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 7:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
My understanding when I read the instructions . . .
by Cursorcowboy / April 14, 2009 7:52 AM PDT

"What Is In Service Pack 3

Windows XP SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and
hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases. For example, the service pack includes functionality previously
released as updates, such as the Microsoft

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!