Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

install new ethernet card

by snacks55 / February 14, 2010 12:49 AM PST

installed dynex dx-pcigb gigabit pci adapter ethernet card in my emachines t1120 computer as it only had a 56k modum adapter.ran enclosed cd for new card. wont connect to internet using internet explorer. tried unplugging router for 3 mins. and retry no connection.tryed uninstalling drivers and the reinstalling,etc still no connection,on bottom of taskbar on the right side it saysaquiring network address,but it never happens.
please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: install new ethernet card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: install new ethernet card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you previously had dial-up?
by Steven Haninger / February 14, 2010 5:01 AM PST

I would think that establishing an internet connection would be the responsibility of your provider. Is there more to this story?

Collapse -
previously had dialup
by snacks55 / February 14, 2010 5:17 AM PST

currently have 2 home comp hard wired to a lynksys router,using comcast as my isp,phone,etc.wife crashed emachines comp in november,since purchased a new hp. at that time had comcast come out they said i had comm conflict now 2 run great.
my affort was to set up emachine in basement,i bought new card ran wire downstairs and rest is repeat of first post.
are you saying i need comcast to come out?
snacks

Collapse -
Ok, check the working machines to see
by Steven Haninger / February 14, 2010 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: previously had dialup

how they get their IP addresses. Default is usually DHCP (dynamic) but you need to check. Also, from the command prompt, type "ipconfig" (without quotes) and check for your gateway address which is your router. Now, go to the network connection for the new interface card...Start/Settings/Network Connections and see if it's configured the same way. Try to ping your router using the gateway address from the command prompt and see if you get a reply or a timeout. If you cannot get to the router, you cannot get on the internet.

Collapse -
check machines
by snacks55 / February 14, 2010 6:55 AM PST

found ip address on working machine.went to emachine checked address and there is none default gateway is o.o.o.o.went to network connections and in status column it says aquiring address let it run for about 15 mins and still nothing closed window and tried to ping.
went to command prompt typed ping and tried both default address and adress for working comp.got message" address not recognized",etc

Collapse -
In network connections
by Steven Haninger / February 14, 2010 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: check machines

Did you run the wizard to set up a new connection? That gateway address isn't recognized because you don't have a valid IP address. I could have you set on statically within the gateway address/subnet and try to ping again. Failure to get a reply could be anything from a bad NIC or cable to firewalls...either Windows or third party...especially Norton.

Collapse -
connections
by snacks55 / February 14, 2010 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: In network connections

did run wizard,but will run again tomorrow.cable and ethernet card are new.do have new issue of norton on working comps.have leave for work now
but will be back tomorrow am
is nic card same as ethernetcard?
thanks
snacks

Collapse -
Sorry for abbreviation
by Steven Haninger / February 14, 2010 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: connections

NIC is Network Interface Card and an Ethernet card is such. I would try temporarily disabling Norton's startup and services to see if you can get an IP address. That's what seems to be holding you up.

Collapse -
norton
by snacks55 / February 15, 2010 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry for abbreviation

tried several things today still no luck
1-did ipconfig/renew message rpc server unavailable
2- disabled windows firewall on emachine
3- tried to ping got message not received as internal or external command,operable program or batch file
4-disabled norton firewall on 2 working comps
5- stumbled upon desktop doctor and ran it,it says fixed,but still no connection to internet
plugged and unplugged router about 5 times
starting to get frustrated

Collapse -
But are you getting an IP address from the router yet?
by Steven Haninger / February 15, 2010 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: norton

I'm presuming your other PCs do but not this one. If no IP address, that's what you troubleshoot first. You should already know the gateway address. Here's what you can try;

1. Give the PC a static IP address that's within your network range. Example...if your router's address is 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0, give your troublesome PC an address of 192.168.0. 100 and the same subnet address. Restart and try to ping the router's address. If no go, plug the Ethernet cable into another port on the router and try again. If still no go, you're looking at the cable, your new NIC, driver or something in the setup. I have seen a NIC that shows as functioning just fine in Windows but won't connect to anything.

2. Do any of your other PCs have a network interface card you can try in the non-functioning PC? That would be very helpful

3. Another method would be to try and connect two PCs directly to one another. However, you'd need a crossover cable and need to set static addresses on both. If each could ping the other, that means your new card works.

Unfortunately, without a proper diagnostics disk and a loopback connector I don't see a better way to test the NIC but I've got to think there's a better than 50/50 chance it's the cable or card if Windows is happy with it in device manager.

Collapse -
test nic card
by snacks55 / February 15, 2010 7:44 AM PST

ok
will try tomorrow.thinking removing card and installing in another comp i have in basement that i can get online with and see if card works. comp #4 has other probs,but can get online so i assume address is already set on it.
thanks again
snacks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?