Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Linux forum

General discussion

install linux from within windows

by bmaher / July 14, 2005 6:47 PM PDT

hi

ive got a windows xp machine, but i wanted to dual boot with suse 9.1. I have the suse CD, but the CDRW drive isnt bootable - even though i have the option in the bios to boot from it.

Is there any way to install linux from windows? or am i just going to have to give it up Happy

thanks

brian

P2 400Mhz
256mb Kingston DDR
40gb maxtor (single NTFS partition)
Windows XP Pro (corp) with SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: install linux from within windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: install linux from within windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I always...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

Fix the nonbooting CD issue. It's the easy way out. Either BIOS update, or a new CDROM drive and it's usually cured.

If you can't (or won't) fix it, you have to look into diskette boot options for Linux installs. I will not duplicate web pages about RAWRITE and how to make these boot diskettes since it's documented all over.

Bob

Collapse -
new cdrom
by bmaher / July 15, 2005 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: I always...

Hi

thanks for ur help.

the cd drive is a brand new phillips cd-rw - but its an older machine so im a bit worried about bios updates (i believe the bios is VERY old) - i also dont know how you would update the older bios.

thanks again for your help..

brian

Collapse -
How I update an old bios.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: new cdrom

I research the make/model of the machine if there is such. Or the make/model of the motherboard if it's some homebrew. Then I see what new BIOS is offered by it's maker.

I then follow their update instructions. In some 15+ years I've never lost a board, but then again I tend to use read the instructions.

Bob

Collapse -
bios update
by bmaher / July 20, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

hi

thanks, i updated the bios (its a dell optiplex GX1 with the original board) and it took about 5 secs to do Happy

the cdrw is now bootable - although its still a problem that ive never come accross before Happy

thanks again

brian

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Erythis1s / July 29, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

I have been looking for this solution! I ended up frustrated yesterday cause I couldn't find what exactly I needed to do to get Linux to install. All my search results were for errors in the process (rather than the initial boot) and getting Linux to boot from Win XP after it was installed.

Sorry about bumping a slightly older thread, but I can't express enough how happy I am to find out it's this simple.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!