Computer Help forum

General discussion

Install and Uninstall

by iwan_antonius / November 27, 2004 3:26 PM PST

Hi Dear,
Is it true that if we always install and uninstall programs most all the time, it can destroy the hard disk?

Thanks for the answers!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Install and Uninstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Install and Uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Install and Uninstall
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 6:57 PM PST
In reply to: Install and Uninstall

I don't think it will destroy the hard disk as such.

The hard disk is just a spinning thing that is in use nearly all the time in the background. There is always something being read from, or written to, the disk, so installing and uninstalling is no different.

But if you are "always" installing and uninstalling programs, then the data on the hard disk can become fragmented after time, and that makes seeking programs/files, or managing the disk, harder for the Operating System.

That is what the Disk Defragmenter is for. In Windows XP it is a particularly unfriendly looking piece of software, but if run regularly, (eg once a month if you install/uninstall very often, or less frequently otherwise), it does it's job pretty well.

The Disk Defragmenter can tell you what percentage the disk is fragmented, and will recommend that you either defragment now, or defragmenting is not required at this time.

Mark

Collapse -
by iwan_antonius / November 28, 2004 11:46 AM PST

Thanks for the answers!! it means a lot to me!!

Collapse -
by Graziani / December 11, 2004 10:12 AM PST

Mark-I would like to ask you a question about taking down my pc and packing it away for awhile. I am finding that my laptop is more efficient for the things that I need to accomplish. Would I uninstall all my programs in the add/delete programs? I would not just turn off the power buttons, cover up, and put away right? I am a novice every time I turn around. Please help.

Thank you,
Lisa Graziani

Collapse -
Lisa, Not Mark, But.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 11, 2004 10:50 AM PST

There's really no need to uninstall anything on the computer when putting it into storage. With new computers, you only need to turn it off, then put somewhere clean, dry, and relatively temperature neutral. Older computers needed to have their hard drives "locked/parked" but that normally isn't required anymore to move a computer. On old computers, checking any disk diagnostic floppies that came with your computer should let you know about that type of thing.

IT IS IMPORTANT to make backups of all your important data on that machine. No matter how you store it, there is a possibility that it wouldn't start up correctly when you finally use it. BE SURE to make backups if you haven't already.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: destroy
by reefurbb / November 27, 2004 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Install and Uninstall

Types of destruction:
mechanical drive fouls up, motor won't spin.
boot sector gets corrupted, destroyed.
hard knock unseats little pickups on pickup arms.
too many bad sectors.
Causes:
Heat, knocking, bad power supply voltage, humidity getting past seal and rusting things, bad voltage spikes, bad mobo chipsets, viruses or bad data that renders sectors unuseable, poor manufacture.
The answer is NO. In fact, using surface scan helps to keep platters clean as pickup arm moves over the whole platter, 2 actually and both sides.
As said, it's more a matter of no uninstall actually being totally clean, folders and files left behind, junking up your OS. Check C:/ and Program Files to look for old folders that should be gone. I know of no safe cleaner that finds all this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?