HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Inspiron Laptop - Indicator Lights

by BlooSevin / March 19, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

New here - have searched and searched and see tons of stuff about the battery indicator lights, but I haven't found anything about the light beside it that has a question mark icon by it. It's the fourth light on the front of my laptop and it's a solid green light now. It never was before. My computer seems to be working fine, but I'm sure this indicator light means something. I've even searched at support.dell.com and can't even figure out what this question mark light means, let alone what to do about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what all information is needed, but here's what I know about my system based on paperwork:

Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop
Windows XP (SP2)
Intel Celeron M Processor 370 (1.50 GHz)
Hard Drive: 80 GB - 5400 rpm
Memory: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimm
Video Card: Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
Wireless Networking Card: Dell 1470 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54 Mbps)
Battery: 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (56 WHr)

Thanks so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inspiron Laptop - Indicator Lights
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inspiron Laptop - Indicator Lights
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask Dell
by jackson dougless / March 19, 2007 3:39 AM PDT

Email their tech support people. They should be able to tell you what that indicator light is for.

Collapse -
Wireless
by linkit / March 19, 2007 3:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks and another question.
by BlooSevin / March 19, 2007 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless

Thanks so much for the replies. Okay, it's apparently the wireless indicator light, I just checked my wireless internet connection and it's fine. Any idea why it would just all of the sudden light up and stay lit for days when it never used to be lit?

My battery light is now flashing orange, also - I always keep the laptop plugged into the outlet (lost my desktop computer a year ago and have just ordered a new one, been using the laptop as my main computer all this time with it plugged in and no battery light flashing).

Thanks again for the replies.

Collapse -
Tilt the laptop
by PudgyOne / March 19, 2007 9:01 AM PDT

forward and you can see what each light is for, it's etched in the front.

Rick

Collapse -
2 lights on - battery flashing orange, wireless steady green
by BlooSevin / March 19, 2007 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Tilt the laptop

Right, the question mark icon is apparently my wireless, and that's the original question - why is it steady green and what do I do to fix it? But now my battery light is flashing orange, but I'm plugged into the outlet. ?? I'm so confused.

I'm sure I'll be back to this site a lot in the future, I just ordered a new desktop and it comes with Windows Vista and I'm used to XP and I'm already scared about all those changes!!

Thanks for everyone's patience with a technically challenged newbie.

Collapse -
Battery light
by PudgyOne / March 19, 2007 9:13 PM PDT

flashes orange when the battery is critically low, has to do with the setting you have.

Click on the Quickset icon, next to clock,Blue and orange, and open it. Click on power wizard and choose the settings you want. When you get to the alarm settings, change the bottom one to 5% and see if it still does it. If it still does it, I'd say your battery is bad and needs replaced.

Now for the other light. The Wireless radio is turned on.

Go to start

click on settings

click on network connections

click on wireless connecgtions

you should see something unless you're using the Intel ProSet wireless program.

If you're using this, then look for the red, yellow or green icon next to clock, looks like a sea shell, and double click on it. It will open and show you the available wireless connections. If you connect to the internet using wireless, then this is why you have a solid green light, if not, then click on disable radio and you will be disconnected and the green radio light will turn off.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks Rick
by BlooSevin / March 23, 2007 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery light

Thanks so much for the reply! I think I need the wireless to be enabled so I can access the internet ??? When I followed your suggestion above, it disconnected my internet connection. I just don't recall the light ever being on before, but my wireless has ALWAYS been enabled before. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your response, any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Correction
by PudgyOne / March 19, 2007 11:06 PM PDT

When you're there setting the alarm, set the first alarm for 13%. From that warning and until the laptop runs out of battery life, it will blink orange.

I would also check your adapter to see that you have electric. I found out that I didn't have the plug in the adapter the whole way and I wasn't using the electric.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.