Storage forum

General discussion

Inspiron 8200 laptop overheating & shutting off

by yheitman / February 5, 2006 5:39 AM PST

Help! My Inspiron 8200 MB was fried and I ordered a new MB (and then some) from a computer shop (it is warranteed). The only thing that was missing from what I ordered from the computer shop was the two-piece circuit board that goes atop the processor, display, and keyboard. Worked beautifully after being put back together. After being on for about 5 hours, I got an error message that the laptop was overheating and it shut down. When I started the laptop back up again the next day, I had a black screen with some suggestions as to why it may have overheated: 1) blocked fan; 2) high ambient temperature. I had neither. This is a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with a 2.2 Ghz processor (our old one that broke had a 1.7), Windows XP OS, and I upgraded the RAM from 128mb that this new one came with to 768mb (a 512 and a 256). I did notice that as soon as I put the computer back together again, it seemed to run "hot" after just about 10-15 minutes, even though you could hear the fans running. This never happened to my old Inspiron 8200 before I replaced everything. The computer cover is exactly the same as the old one and all the parts in the new one I ordered were spotless and gleaming. No dust anywhere and a bunch of the pieces had initials on them and they state that they tested everything and all the pieces were working fine and that's why they extended a warranty on the darn thing. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what could be the problem? Did I, when I was putting the thing back together, leave something unplugged. I was pretty impressed with the new computer guts I bought because everything was there and it was just so simple to add the display, keyboard, my hard drive, optical drive, battery and shebang-it worked. Any suggestions on the overheating????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inspiron 8200 laptop overheating & shutting off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inspiron 8200 laptop overheating & shutting off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"After being on for about 5 hours,".. Pretty normal for P4.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 8:24 AM PST

That pretty normal for aging P4 laptops. There is no real cure but I find those laptop cooling pads can get an unit that works for that many hours to run over twice as long (with the cooling pad.)

This problem had us ban any purchase of a Pentium 4 laptop at the office.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe overheating?

I have some experience in over heating. In my case, there were multiple failures. The first indication that something was wrong was that the fans ran a lot. Eventually, one of the fans siezed and then the poor wee beastie would go into thermal overload. I tried thermal paste, which helped, and various software solution in addition to cleaning, etc. What finally made a significant improvement was replacing the heat sink.

The heat sink is not just a hollow copper tube with fins. It is filled with a heat conducting fluid. If the tube leaks then the fluid evaporates and that's the end of it.

Again, the symptoms:
Over time, the fans stay on longer and harder.
Eventually, the fans pretty much run all of the time.
One of the fans breaks.
The machine goes into thermal overload.

The solution,
replace the heat sink
replace the fans
===
Richard Lewis Haggard

Collapse -
Overheating
by kantzler / October 20, 2009 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe overheating?

Do you know if the heat-sink tube contains a fluid or a gas?

I suspect that a lot of replacement/R&R CPU problems are due to improper heat-transfer treatment, either through improper/failure to us pad or a heat-transfer applique, such as Arctic Silver.

But why is it that no-one mentions CPU failure? Especially if the PC is shutting down as soon as the CPU jumps to its top speed? If the PC's gone so far as to have 100% constant activity leading to a shot fan, then the CPU is not in such great shape, especially if it is then, after replacement of fan (where there were probably scorch marks visible on the metal chassis beneath the CPU), subjected to use without proper transfer applique.

Seems if chips are to die from heat, the first would be the CPU and it's a lot easier to replace that then the MB.

Collapse -
Here's why the CPU rarely fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2009 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Overheating
Collapse -
Fried CPUs
by kantzler / October 20, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

In the burn video, the P4/2000, the first one shown, nor any of the other Intels shown, like the P4 CPU in the Inspiron 8200. The P4/2000 shown is equipped with a heat-spreader cap, giving it greater survivability without the sink. The 8200's P4 CPUs have bare core-to-sink design, like the AMD CPUs shown.

Collapse -
The one thing viewers might keep in mind is that
by VAPCMD / October 21, 2009 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Fried CPUs

most of those MBs probably didn't have the AMD CPU thermal shutdown circuitry. Believe it was introduced about that same time. But lets face it...how many of us have had the whole HS and fan fall off leaving virtually no CPU cooling ?

Never did like the CPUs with such tiny HS contact surface.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Wait for tomorrow
by kantzler / October 21, 2009 1:11 PM PDT

Guess we'll have to wait ten to 12 years for something like photonic or quantum nanotech processors, or maybe the already in production VIA (Tiawan)one-watt Eden ULV 500MHz will be upgrded to multi-gig capability in the next few years. The Eden ULV is now manufactured with 90nm production technology, will use VIA?s V4 400MHz bus and ship in nanoBGA2 package 21x21mm in size. Their new solution will work at 0.7V core voltage. God for Netbooks and standard-demand Laps and PCs.

Collapse -
Just adding personal experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2009 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Fried CPUs

Even bare core P3 CPUs have survived such abuse and yet to find a single fried P4 over the years and often find those that do replace both so you may find those that claim the CPU was fried but then again... I have people point to the computer case and call that the CPU.

Back you YOUR machine. By now you know to disassemble it, clean the heatsink, apply fresh heatsink compound and button it. Add a laptop cooling pad, run the CPU as the lowest possible clock rate and eek out the last year from the machine.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!