Computer Help forum

General discussion

Inspiron 6000 9 Padlock issue

Everytime i swich my laptop (running on Windows XP) on the padlock is illuminated and the screen is black, apart from a white flashing underscore. Any ideas as to how i can resolve the problem?

Any help is much appreciated,

Luisa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inspiron 6000 9 Padlock issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inspiron 6000 9 Padlock issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL "padlock"!

In reply to: Inspiron 6000 9 Padlock issue

Sorry for laughing at you; I could NOT figure out what on earth this "padlock" thing was! You mean your Caps Lock or Num Lock indicator, correct? This is not a problem. Most computers flash all the lights on their keyboards when they boot up (I suspect they do it to indicate that they've checked all the hardware out, and found it functioning properly). As for the flashing underscore, well, my old Dell Inspiron 1501 always does that for a second (though it didn't used to). I don't think it's really a problem either. It just started doing that one day after I updated the BIOS. I think it might indicate that the BIOS is starting up or something like that.

Anyway, these are really non issues, though I'm sure they seem a bit annoying. There really isn't any way to prevent them from happening, though.

Collapse -
Num Lock problemo.

In reply to: LOL "padlock"!

Forgive me for not being specific about the issue.

Ok, i know that all three lights flash when the laptop is first switched on and i also know that the flashing underscore also does that too....what my problem is, is that's all that's on the screen. All the time. Nothing else. I've also tried switching Num Lock off and switching the laptop off/on again, but to no avail.

Collapse -
aHA.

In reply to: Num Lock problemo.

Ok, I thought there must be SOMETHING else wrong here (that other 'solution', I gave seemed WAY too simple!).

This seems to me as if it must be a problem with either the memory or the hard drive. So, the BIOS does NOT come up, correct? IF you don't know what it is already, the bios is the DELL screen that comes up and says your computer model # etc... I gather that it doesn't come up, though. If this is so, then that indicates a memory problem, because the BIOS should load, whether or not the hard drive is bad. Does the computer make any beeping noises or any noise at all? Sometimes there are certain "morse codes" that the computer beeps out to indicate a problem at startup. However, this does seem like a memory problem, unless there is something wrong with your processor/motherboard. It's also possible that one of the keys on your keyboard is stuck in the depressed position. This used to happen a lot with old desktop computers. But, I can't really guess the exact problem without examining the machine myself. So, maybe you should take it to a computer repair shop? They should be able to determine the problem within minutes if it's the keyboard or memory, and have it repaired in no time. There really isn't any way to test the memory yourself without an extra (and known to be working) memory stick. And the keyboard would have to be removed (which isn't too difficult. see dell support webpage for instructions) and unplugged to determine if it was causing the problem.

Anyway, that's the only possible problems I can think of without looking at the computer personally.

Collapse -
Which model?

In reply to: Inspiron 6000 9 Padlock issue

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.