Computer Help forum

General discussion

Inspiron 1525 DVD drive

by zbs72 / August 7, 2008 3:17 PM PDT

I've seen this on a few other forums, but not here -- was wondering if anyone has experienced this or has ideas for fixing.

the DVD drive on my days-old Inspiron 1525 randomly pops open with no real rhyme or reason. Most often it happens when I'm doing something like this--commenting on a forum. But other times it just does it for no apparent reason (though I'm not sure if Internet is up when it happens). I know other users have experienced this on this model; I've read about it, but no solutions were offered.

Dell sent me a new drive, but it seems to me less like a hardware issue and more like--something is not compatible with another program. It's a TSST dvd-cd rw TSL632H ATA device--The device "is working properly" and plays things fine (not that I really use it). The PC is running Vista Sad of course and there's a bunch of 'media' software on it (that isn't running when this happens) but other than that nothing out of the ordinary is installed.

Thanks in advance.
zbs72

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inspiron 1525 DVD drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inspiron 1525 DVD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you have time to do this
by PudgyOne / August 7, 2008 3:49 PM PDT

Preferably overnight, try this

Click start, run or hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time.

This brings up the run command.

Type

CMD

hit enter.

type

chkdsk /r

hit enter. answer with a Y

Restart your computer and the computer will check for errors.

Does it still happen?

Rick

Collapse -
when i do the chkdsk command....
by zbs72 / August 9, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

i get a message:

"access denied as you do not have sufficient privilegs -- must operate in elevated mode"

Collapse -
First thing I'd do
by Jimmy Greystone / August 7, 2008 3:50 PM PDT

First thing I'd do, is look at any hotkey programs Dell might have installed on the system, and try disabling them to see if that helps at all.

Collapse -
You said days old.
by PudgyOne / August 9, 2008 2:03 PM PDT

Make it a warranty issue. Contact Dell.

Rick

Collapse -
Inspiron 1525 DVD drive pops open
by tjj_m3 / September 23, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

I have no solution, but this happens to my Dell 1525 laptop frequently. I removed Vista for XP and this still happens. I updated the firmware from dell.com, no better. I feel strongly this it is a software rather than hardware issue.

If anyone has a solution, please post it.

Thank you.

Collapse -
how to change the inspiron 1525 vista home basic to xp
by farrigirl / October 26, 2008 6:11 PM PDT

you said in your post that you managed to put xp on your dell. I have tried everything and have not yet been able to change it to xp.
please advise how you did it.

Collapse -
Not Windows-specific
by astroconst / October 31, 2008 12:13 PM PDT

I get this with OS X as well, so it's not Windows-specific. It's either hardware, firmware, or BIOS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?