HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

inspiron 1501 problems many

by kdpost / July 30, 2009 4:48 AM PDT

I have an 18 month old inspiron 1501 that I bought new. I have three major problems.
1. I use it mostly on a/c power thinking that this would extend my battery. Now with in the last two weeks I get the message that the 1501 battery is incompatable. I just press keys and move on but I know that something is up and I should fix it.
2. As of this past week when I played a DVD I needed for a class I was taking it hestitated constantly and I had to keep tapping the case to get it going. I could not finish this class on my computor, I had to use different machine. I have only used the DVD Drive maybe 20 times since I have had the computor so it should not be creating problems. I am the only person who used this computor and I only use it in my home.
3. Sometimes when I connect into a usb port a flashdrive, or a mouse, or a printer, my whole computor will go horizontal and totally freeze and the only thing I can do is turn it off and then turn it back on. This happens anytime when the computor is newly turned on has been running a while. This started about 5 months ago.
I have no more warranty and no money to take to an expert.
I mainly use this for word processing only and occasionally for looking at photos and connecting to gmail. I defragmentize 4 times a year and have always run virus protection software. Any suggestions? In the past our computors have lasted 4-6 years with no problems and with an armload of users. Now that I had the luxury of my own computor and limit the computor to me I have had a multitude of problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: inspiron 1501 problems many
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: inspiron 1501 problems many
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Item 1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 5:45 AM PDT

Has some discussions on the Dell boards. This seems to happen after people update the BIOS. If so, go back to the old BIOS. If not then you don't want to know the cost to fix. Hope you keep your laptop in warranty.

Item 2.
I can't tell if this applies. Details are a little slim in your post but it cures it most of the time for IDE DVD drives and XP and even Vista!
Read http://winhlp.com/node/10

Other causes are overlapping virus, spyware protection.

Item 3.
This sounds like the 1 year mark came and went and the machine didn't get it's yearly maintenance. Watch the 'cleanup your laptop' video at
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-6679060-1.html

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry to say
by Jimmy Greystone / July 30, 2009 5:48 AM PDT

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you have some deep seated hardware issues that you should have gotten taken care of while it was still under warranty, because now... You're either going to have to put up with it or start trolling ebay for people parting out the same model laptop.

One thing you can do, to help kind of narrow things down, is go to Dell's website. Go to the drivers download section, and under Diagnostics there will be a diagnostics program you can run. This might also be on the driver CD that shipped with the system. Run both the memory test AND the extended test and see if it can come up with anything specific as far as what part is bad. Based on what you've said, I'd say you need a new motherboard, and since you said you had no money to take it to an expert, I hope you know someone who can put in the motherboard for you.

Start with the diagnostics, and then see if it can pinpoint a specific part that is bad. After that, start hitting ebay and craigslist for anyone who has a broken 1501 laptop that they're selling for parts, and how much they want for the part(s) you need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.