Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Inside the Green Zone

by JP Bill / February 1, 2006 7:47 PM PST
No U.S. apology for firing on Canucks

WASHINGTON (CP) - U.S. officials didn't apologize Wednesday but said they're investigating a "regrettable" incident in which soldiers fired at a car carrying four Canadian diplomats in Baghdad.

Canadians are disputing a U.S. version of events, saying a military convoy fired at them without warning, with one bullet coming dangerously close. No one was injured

U.S. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said he didn't know the details of the event Tuesday, involving two convoys in the city's heavily fortified Green Zone.

Green Zone

The International Zone (formerly known as the Green Zone) is the heavily guarded diplomatic/government corner of central Baghdad that houses Iraqi citizens, Coalition partners, and U.S. forces. It is commonly referred to as the "Ultimate Gated Community" due to the numerous armed checkpoints, coils of razor wire, chain link fences, and the fact it is surrounded by "T-Walls" (reinforced and blast-proof concrete slabs).

Not safe, even in the "Ultimate Gated Community"
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inside the Green Zone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inside the Green Zone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Green Zone
by TONI H / February 1, 2006 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: Inside the Green Zone

is constantly being bombarded by snipers and bombers using 'carry on' bombs and hand rockets....

Don't know all the information but I would think it was possible to speculate at least that a sniper bullet that came from the direction of the car (but behind the side that wasn't visible to the US military on the other side with the car directly in the middle as it went by) was mistakenly believed to be coming from the car itself?

TONI

Collapse -
They DO know there's a war going on, right?
by EdH / February 1, 2006 8:46 PM PST

No one was hurt. What's the point of complaining and arguing?

Collapse -
It's an illegal war,
by duckman / February 2, 2006 12:08 AM PST

so everything that happens is you know whos fault

Collapse -
We'll never know........
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 7:09 AM PST

....the real details which will lay somewhere between two versions of the incident.

If one is in an area where a lot of shooting is going on; and knows there are a lot of ''jumpy'' people with weapons with a round in the chamber; you'd think extreme caution in approaching any checkpoint would be the order of the day. Deference to diplomats is fine "after" they have been identified.

Collapse -
It is always unpleasant ....
by Angeline Booher / February 2, 2006 6:23 AM PST

.... of such incidents, regardless of whose reports are correct, especially when it involves people from a friendly country.

Bullets fly over, through and around the Green Zone with regularity, as well as rocket grenades. It is not a safe place.

I saw a piece about the military tent hospital there where the US ABC correspondent and his camera man were taken. It is being pelted with "unfriendly fire" constantly. Even though they also treat wounded "insurgents" there.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Just heard from.........
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 1:04 PM PST

...an acquaintance who is "on site" and participating in the investigation (US side) telling me he can't/won't tell everything he knows, BUT.... the vehicle the Canadians were attempting to pass had a very large sign on the back that read "DO NOT PASS...AMERICAN CONVOY".. ....."DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) maybe the canadians were to busy to read?
by Mark5019 / February 2, 2006 1:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 2, 2006 1:16 PM PST

The illustration they showed on CTV in Canada had a convoy of 5 or 6 military vehicles and a diplomatic vehicle following at a distance in the right hand lane of traffic.

The military convoy pulled over to the extreme left (over two lanes of traffic) and were partially behind a barrier, where they stopped. The diplomatic vehicle was in the extreme right lane (at least 3 lanes away from the stopped convoy).

So the convoy was stopped, 3 lanes away, and partially behind some sort of barrier. And they shot at the diplomatic vehicle.

Collapse -
Guess we wait ......
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: Response

...for factual details.

Certainly wouldn't come to a "finding", based on an "illustration" put together by the media.

Collapse -
PS, JP....
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Response

IF, IF, the ''Rules of the Road'' are that nothing passes a convoy, stopped or otherwise, something like school busses in some places in the US, and not knowing the Rules of Engagements under which the troops operate in these cases, I guess we wait for the investigations.

I seem to recall that something similar happened with the British down around Bashra(sp) several months ago, and the rules of the road there, were that nothing passed a convoy.

Not to take away from the serious importance of this incident, I thought it interesting that one of the occupants of the car, in recalling events, described the smell of ''gunpowder''. Military small arms ammunition doesn't use gunpowder. They use cordite, which I don't recall or remember having a following odor to the projectile.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.