1. The chipset can't be the 915PM, because it's an amd notebook. It has ATI RX480 chipset.
2. The amd processor has no fsb... It has hypertransport. The socket 939 HP/Compaq has a higher speed of 2000Mhz, i think. WHile socket 754 is only at 1600Mhz.
3. Using the gateway, depending on how good the gfx are in the game, there might be a lagg unless you run at lower settings. The x600 isn't a top-of-the line card.
4. Don't think it supports both, but 802.11b is slow anyways.
5. Upgrade as in customize? Or upgrade at home (do-it-yourself)?
6. Yes, probably will survive. Gateways build good notebooks. Hardware wise, not very good in the gaming world.
7. As for whether the casing is good, well notebooks nowadays are pretty made all the same, but the gateway really looks plasticly.
8. Without a 3-4 year warranty, well i guess its okay, if you take good care of it. Besides, doubt you can get service in indonesia.
9. Problems, make sure you update all drivers. But other than that, nothing serious.
10. I would get the r4000 because the only difference between the two is the gfx card. The gateway's one is better, but the wireless on the r4000 supports 802.11. If you really need the better gfx, than get the gateway and get a wireless adapter. If not, get the compaq for a cheaper price.
Now as the for the gfx on the r4000, its like an x300se, which i have. I can run max settings at 1280x1024 on flight simulator 2004 or run bf2 pretty well. This card basically competes with a ATI 9600, so its not bad. the x600 is a bit better than the x300, but not by much.
Can somebody help me?
I'm new to this community.
I'm having trouble in choosing my first notebook. I'm looking for a nice desktop replacement w/ nice price.
You know, right now, HP is selling their R4000 seies which also use AMD athlon processor.
I'm confuse about which one to choose. Compaq presario R4000 or Gateway 7510gx? Which one is better?
compaq presario R4000 (customizable model):
1. Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2 (i'm gonna change it after)
2. AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache, WITH NO DUAL CHANNEL SUPPORT)
3. 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
4. 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(128MB dedicated. X300 128MB class of GPU.)
5. 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB PC2700 333MHz)
6. 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
7. 8x DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
8. 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
9. 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
10. Microsoft(R) Works/Money
11. "2-year HP Express Repair extended service plan" (100$)
12. "HP Sport Backpack" (50$)
The notebook itself costs 1293 USD for now (after 100$ instant rebate with free shipping).
+ number 11 and 12, it would be 1443 USD.
(note: modem, LAN, 6in1 Card reader, Complete ports, 1394, etc, etc are included already)
Keep in mind that dual channel memory support of AMD socket 939 is currently not available in R4000/zv6000.
Gateway 7510gx (fixed/standard model. I have some questions here):
1. Mobile AMD Athlon 64-bit 3700+ Processor (2.4 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache. Socket 754.)
2. 1GB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (expandable to 1.5GB)
3. Intel 915PM or ATI RX480 ?
4. 15.4" Widescreen Ultrabright TFT WXGA LCD
5. ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 with 128MB of memory
6. PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio with built-in speakers
7. 100GB HDD (4200 RPM)
8. Double Layer DVD reWriter
9. Built-in 802.11g broadcom Wi-Fi Wireless LAN Adapter
10. 1 year standard warranty.
+ 6-in-1 Digital Media Manager
+ 56K V.92 Fax Modem
++ Ports - 10/100 Ethernet, 4 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, Microphone In, & Headphone / Audio Out
It would cost 1399 USD.
Now, my qustions are (about 7510gx notebook):
1. What is the 7510gx actual chipset ?
2. How fast will The system bus/Front Side Bus runs ?
Anyone try play HL2, DOOM3 or Farcry at standard spec ?
3. Is there any disturbance when playing the game above by using standard spec (100GB 4200RPM, 1GB DDR, x600 128, 3700+)
4. Does the Wi-Fi also support 802.11b ?
5. What can we upgrade from the current system beside memory or HDD ?
Well, my budget is only 1500 $. R4000 offers a nice deal. I can even have 2 years warranty, bag and an additional mouse (if i want to).
I'm gonna use it in Indonesia for at least a year and i plan to use it for maybe 3-4 years.
(next questions about 7510gx)
6. Will it be able to survive 3-4 years later (rather than R4000?) ?
7. Is the casing solid and strong (compared with R4000) ?
8. Will it be ok to go 3-4 years without extended warranty ?
9. Do you guys have any trouble/problem/cons about 7510gx so far ?
10. What do you suggest for me to do (with 1500 $ budget) ?
I have some benchmark scores from other thread about the zv6000/R4000 system.
(not my spec)
15.4 in glossy brightview widescreen
Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0Ghz, 512kb cache) Socket 939 .13um NewCastle
chipset: Radeon RS480, southbridge: SB400, HP motherboard model 3085
ATI xpress 200m 128Mb dedicated graphics
1Gb (512x2) Nanya DDR pc2700 cl 2.5 ram
80Gb 5400rpm Seagate Momentus
DVD/CDRW combo drive
Broadcom wireless b/g with bluetooth
HP standard 1 year warranty
Mem read: 2514 MB/s
Mem write: 1049 MB/s
Latency: 37.5 ns
Of these, the top 2 showed up in the middle of the built-in examples, below most of the dual channel and pc3200; The latency was the top scorer of all systems.
Memory channels: single
PCMARK04: 3455 pcmarks
CPU score: 3414
CPU score: 700
Fill Rate (Single-texturing): 349.8 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-texturing): 599.1 MTexels/s
Vertex Shader: 3.7 fps
Pixel Shader 2.0: 13.8 fps
Fill Rate (Single-texturing): 402.0 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-texturing): 603.1 MTexels/s
High Polygon Count (1 light): 10.0 MTriangles/s
High Polygon Count (8 lights): 4.9 MTriangles/s
Environment Bump Mapping: 115.5 fps
DOT3 Bump Mapping: 47.6 fps
Vertex Shader: 68.3 fps
Pixel Shader: 69.5 fps
Advanced Pixel Shader: 43.6 fps
Point Sprites: 8.5 MSprites/s
Drystone ALU: 9138 MIPS
Whetstone FPU: 3146 MFLOPS
Whetstone iSSE2: 4072 MFLOPS
Integer x4 aEMMX/aSSE: 18985 it/s
Float x4 iSSE2: 20420 it/s
File System Benchmark:
Drive Index: 34 MB/s
Buffered Read: 29 MB/s
Sequential Read: 38 MB/s
Random Read: 28 MB/s
Buffered Write: 81 MB/s
Sequential Write: 38 MB/s
Random Write: 27 MB/s
Average Access Time: 10 ms
Memory Bandwidth Benchmarks:
Ram Bandwidth Int Buffered iSSE2: 2504 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buffered iSSE2: 2495 MB/s
memory shown as 2.5-3-3-3 1 CMD
Cache & Memory Benchmarks:
Combined Index: 4225 MB/s
Any comparison ?
Sorry for asking so many questions.
I'll be waiting for your reply.