Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

insert pictures in a story using word

by Fred Scott / March 22, 2006 11:57 AM PST

I have written a story and inserted 5 pictures but the file size is large to send via e-mail.
If I reduce the picture size down to 30% will the file size shrink as well or does eveything remain the same.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: insert pictures in a story using word
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: insert pictures in a story using word
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remain the same...
by John.Wilkinson / March 22, 2006 2:33 PM PST

If you import a picture into Word and then shrink the image down the file size of the Word document will remain the same because it's still storing the original data of the picture...the full-sized image. If you wish to reduce the size, you'd have to remove the photo from inside word, use a photo editor (such as MS Paint) to reduce the dimensions of the photo, save it, then import the shrunken image into Word for manipulation. The quality of the photo will be reduced, meaning it won't look as nice if 'expanded' to full-size, but it will cut down the file size enough to be sent via e-mail.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
hi us zip
by kulfi / March 22, 2006 9:33 PM PST
In reply to: Remain the same...

hi if u want send it via mail then try to zip and send
selvam

Collapse -
Help me with Zip...
by reverson / March 24, 2006 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: hi us zip

I tried Zipping my files but amazingly the file size remained ALMOST the same, and I had the same trouble in emailing the whole file.
Is there a way to reduce the zip file further down in size?

THanks,

RAH/TX

I have XP home edition and used Windows explorer to get to the file, right clicked and then "send" to Zip - compressed.
My computer is a Gateway 2.93G Hz

Collapse -
Thanks John
by Fred Scott / March 23, 2006 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: Remain the same...

I redid my word story by removing the pictures and used Adobe 5.5 to reduce the image and inserted the pictures back in word and made a big difference emailing it. Thanks again

Collapse -
Another way
by eddie11013 / March 23, 2006 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks John

I know you already resolved your problem, but there is another way, and that is to use You Send it Program: http://www.yousendit.com/ Its for free, can send up to 1 Gig. Basically you are using their servers, as I understand it, the receiving party gets a message to get the file and they are then able to download same, they (yousendit.com) keeps on their servers for a week.
Just a suggestion,
Eddie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!