Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Insert CD

by shadowrider / January 4, 2005 11:12 PM PST

I have xp home,sp2, when i insert a cd in drive , nothing happens, there is a little cd by the pointer but nothing happens, when i double click on drive d ,it says insert cd. which is already in. It use to work. can anyone help?
thanks Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Insert CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Insert CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm...
by SylentStar / January 4, 2005 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Insert CD

You wrote: when i double click on drive d

Remove the CD.
Try to double-click on "My Computer", right click on Drive D, Properties, Auto-Play tab. Select another action to perform for all the options (one by one), click on Apply. Reboot.
Same problem?
Read here then: http://www.jsiinc.com/subn/tip6900/rh6952.htm

Blank disk inserted ? CD-Rom is dying or dead.
Check in "Device manager". The device is working fine?

Happy

Collapse -
test site
by shadowrider / January 5, 2005 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

I went to the link you provided and got the follow response.
Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Fired)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: Deleting ShellHWDetection LaunchPermission (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission)
Result: The wizard ran into problems while trying to delete this registry value (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission).

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None
Does mean my computer is broke?

Collapse -
Sorry
by SylentStar / January 5, 2005 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: test site

You wrote: Does mean my computer is broke?
Not your entire machine!. Maybe just the CD-Rom.
Did you try to manually change the settings first like I told you?

In fact, the program found 2 problems, but was unable to repair.
For now, I don't have a solution. Not enough experience with the Windows Registry.

I'll try to restore from a previous point and test again, same idea with another CD-Rom (borrowed from a friend) or ... --> reinstall XP (despair...). Nothing works ? I buy a new one then.

Sad

Collapse -
Im not sure
by shadowrider / January 5, 2005 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Yes I manually changed the settings, no help. I tried to restore to a privious date but it wont go back far enough i think I have had this problem for a while. Borrow a cd rom? Im talking about the drive in my tower . I also have a cd writer and it will open the file. Im talking about pictures or windows media player, real player. also in my computer I have a drive F i never saw before. Is there a way to restore farther than a month back?
Thanks

Collapse -
bad drive
by glb613 / January 5, 2005 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Im not sure

You might have a bad drive. If that is the case, doing a system restore further back will not solve the problem.

Have yor tried removing the drive from the device manager? Uninstall it, reboot the computer, have the computer reinstalls it and see if it works. If nothing enables you to use it, try putting in a different or new CD drive.

Collapse -
System Restore
by SylentStar / January 5, 2005 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Im not sure

[CD Drive, CD-ROM...] I have a CD Drive in my tower (LG CD-ROM) + a DVD Writer (Sony).
We're talking about the same thing I hope!
Your CD Writer is working, good news!

I don't use the "System Restore" included in Windows XP. I create an image with DriveImage, and in case of emergency, I restore it. More secure, specially if you need it 15 months later!

Your CD Drive is damaged or not? If you really want to know, just format, reinstall XP, and test it.
The idea is to fix a possible registry key corruption.
Same problem?
Buy a new one. Not expensive.

Good luck!

Happy

Collapse -
ShellHWDetection LaunchPermission
by mayonaise / January 28, 2005 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: test site

I have the same problem with my digital camera.
I've been trying to work on it for the past few days (including running autofix), but to no avail. The only time I got it to work was when I uninstalled service pack 2...i have heard many problems with autoplay and windows xp.

Collapse -
same autoplay problem
by davidb412 / February 16, 2005 8:59 AM PST

if you find the fix lets us all know. Autoplay repair does not recognize nor fix the problem. I can see the device under my computer and I hear the audio sound everytime i connect and disconect but autoplay does not work on any removeable device though it continues to work on cd's etc.

Collapse -
Windows XP and CD-R/CD-RW
by John Gauthier / January 28, 2005 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

You have provided an answer that fixed a problem I have had regarding not being able to recognize CD's and CD's becoming "Read Only". Your procedure worked perfectly for me and allowed me to copy files to CD-R, and CD-RW discs and it allowed me to salvage a number of CD's which had become "Read Only" and unusable. Once again I have all my files backed up and usable. Thank you very much. John Gauthier

Collapse -
Nice!
by SylentStar / January 28, 2005 10:12 AM PST

I'm happy for you. And thanks for letting us know.

Happy

Collapse -
No run Cd
by rattlinbones / January 28, 2005 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Insert CD

When you install the updates after SP2 one of them turns off the Autorun routine. In my humble opinion you should leave it turned off, a lot lot of virui' exploit the autorun routine. If you really want to turn it back on go to Start > Run type regedit click enter. Click>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>
SYSTEM>
CurrentControlSet>
Services>
Cdrom>
Double click Autorun and set the value to 0
Click OK and then reboot your machine

Collapse -
Easy Fix
by Stan Chambers / January 28, 2005 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: No run Cd
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?