PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Insatlled new video card to replace onboard graphics

by Walt H / October 11, 2011 3:36 AM PDT

I just installed a HD video card into my Dell Desktop system. It's connected via the HDMI output on the new card to the HDMI input on the monitor. The card has to be installed correctly since I can see windows desktop via the HDMI input on the monitor. My issue is that the "found new hardware wizard" did not appear. Can I still go ahead and install the software?

Previous graphics for this system was the onboard graphics so there was no old card to remove.

P.S. I downloaded the latest drivers for this card from the manufacturer's website. Should I install the CD software (which came with the card) first or simply use the new downloaded file?

Walt H has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Insatlled new video card to replace onboard graphics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Insatlled new video card to replace onboard graphics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Walt H

Collapse -
Correct Monitor is NOT detected...
by Walt H / October 11, 2011 6:59 AM PDT

I have installed the graphics card and it's working. However, now Device Manager lists my monitor as Generic PNP but it's a Samsung P2370HD LCD Monitor. As a result of this, when I set the resolution to HDTV 1080P or other HDTV setting, my desktop icons or partially off the screen and the system tray and taskbar are below the screen. Before the installation of the card, the correct monitor was listed in Device Manager. How do I fix this issue?

Collapse -
Problem Solved...
by Walt H / October 11, 2011 10:19 AM PDT

OK. I have now resolved the problem. As this is my first HD Graphics Card and Digital Monitor, there are a lot of configuration options for this graphics card, I went through MANY and came across a "scaling" funciton which corrected the problem.

Collapse -
I found another solution...
by Walt H / October 11, 2011 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved...

I tried another option which appears to work a bit better as far as the overall screen appearance. I returned the "scaling" option back to it's original setting. From my monitor's picture menu I used "stretch to fit" as opposed to leaving it in 16:9 format. Since there was a minute bit of stretching to do, it looks slightly, just slightly better.

Collapse -
Scaling Option is better...
by Walt H / October 13, 2011 9:33 PM PDT

After a few days with the new card, I decided to go back to my original fix "scaling" option that's located within the software adjustments. This method does in fact give a better quality view for Internet text.

Collapse -
Did you load the monitor drivers ?
by VAPCMD / October 13, 2011 10:30 AM PDT

Did you try using the DVI connector ?

Collapse -
Monitor drivers are loaded...
by Walt H / October 13, 2011 1:03 PM PDT

problem is resloved.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?