HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

Input Needed : Building My Computer

by Marauders / July 22, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

Hi,

I had an old gateway system with Athlon 700 slot A, now I am building my own system with Athlon 64 2800+ and ASUS K8N motherboard and Kingston PC2700 512 Mb Ram, I am planning to remove my secondary Hard Drive (which I upgraded) from my gateway system which has my XP installation and try that as a primary on the new system that I am configuring, do you see any issues with this. Please send in your suggestions before I start on it. Also the motherboard supports RAID 0/1 with SATA support, but I will be using my IDE as primary, will that cause any issue.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Input Needed : Building My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Input Needed : Building My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Moving an XP installation
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2005 10:09 AM PDT

The first thing you will experience is that XP will not boot in your new system. This is because of the sudden hardware changes. It is possible to do a repair installation to correct this but probably not with your Gateway media. The repair installation option is available with a genuine XP disk from Microsoft and, if the repair installation is successful, it generally preserves your programs and data but rebuilds Windows specific components. You will also need to have your MB and other hardware drivers handy as XP will probably not have all of them. This is a risk so backup what you cannot afford to lose. The RAID and SATA support will not affect you if you do not use it but if you don't load the drivers they will be flagged as non functional in your hardware configuration. You may as well load the drivers anyway.

Collapse -
Moving an XP Installation. Memory Upgrade
by Marauders / July 25, 2005 3:13 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a XP installation disk professional edition, not the OEM, so shall I start it with the Repair installation even before I boot from the hard drive. One more question, if I use PC2700(in 1st Bank 512M) and PC2100(in 2nd and 3rd Bank 256 M each), will there be an issue, the MOBO says it can support that configuration, let me know if it cause any bottleneck, at this time I am happy if my Memomry operating bus is at 200+ Mz, because this is an machine I am putting for my brother who might use it for just for gaming and browsing purposes.

Thanks

Collapse -
Moving an XP Installation. Memory Upgrade
by jcrobso / July 25, 2005 3:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
This one I cannot answer
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2005 5:49 AM PDT

When XP is installed, the media has a "volume name". This has some identifying criteria such as whether it's a full version, upgrade, OEM, etc. I would have to think the repair installation must be done from similar media and that you will be asked for the product ID. That ID should match what's stored on your system already. The other poster's question about your RAM may be correct. In most cases, mixing RAM of dissimilar performance characteristics cannot be recommended. If it works, all modules will run at the speed of the slowest.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.