General discussion

Input labels on B630 series

Hi all,

I have the LN46B630 and hooked it up to my HTPC. I use a DVI to HDMI cable on HDMI1/DVI to hook it up to the HTPC. I changed the label of the input to "DVI PC" (as it seemed the most appropriate) and found that many of the calibration settings were greyed out. I then changed the label to just "DVI" and I noticed the picture change slightly (not sure what it was, maybe sharpness or something else). Even though the settings were exactly the same, there was a slight discernible difference when changing the input name. I tried another input ("PC") and the picture changed slightly again.

So two questions:

1. Are the technical or image differences between input labels documented somewhere? What is it about the DVI PC settings that make the text look so good? Is it possible to replicate the settings applied in "DVI PC" with the other labels?

2. If these settings cannot be replicated, is there a way to retain control over all calibration settings for certain input labels?

In my personal opinion, "DVI PC" looked better for the text on the screen, but I don't like that I lost so many color adjustment settings (color, color space, black tone, etc.) with it.

P.S. Why is xvYCC greyed out in every label and setting mode? Does the source have to be outputting xvYCC colors before the setting is enabled?

Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Input labels on B630 series
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Input labels on B630 series
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Input labels on B630 series

jeetkunejoe,

1. Editing the name of the input will likely affect the default settings, but you can apply those settings back if you want. The labels treat the incoming signal differently, so that more devices are supported with (hopefully!) less hassle.

2. Did you have the TV professionally calibrated? To directly answer the question, each input has its own settings, so a calibration would have to be applied to each input.

3. Not all devices send a xvYCC signal. If that signal isn't detected, the option isn't available.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Makes sense, but a few more questions...

Thanks for the reply. Cleared about some issues, but I still have a few questions (and a new one!)

1. If I set "DVI PC" on another HMDI input (other than HDMI1) I noticed it doesn't do the same changes or grey out the same options as when "DVI PCI" is set on HDMI1. Any reason for that?

2. I did not have the TV professionally calibrated. This is just my own calibration. I see what you mean about each setting having it's own input. Pretty handy for multiple profiles.

3. I figured out my discrete video card can't output xvYCC signals. But I have onboard video that can. So I hooked it up to the onboard video and the option was enabled. Thanks!

New question:
4. When I hooked up my onboard video to HDMI1, I had the "HDMI Black Level" option. I set it to "Low" so my blacks aren't washed out. I moved my onboard video to HDMI2 and all the options were available except "HDMI Black Level". It's set as "Normal" and grayed out. The label I set for HDMI2 is "DVI". I tried it with other labels but could not get the "HDMI Black Level" option to become active. This is the same cable and everything. The only difference is its on HDMI2 instead of HDMI1. Any idea what the issue could be?

- Collapse -
Makes sense, but a few more questions...

jeetkunejoe,

1. Some of the options may be HDMI specific, or may not be applicable for "DVI PC". Such as CEC (Anynet+), since that requires an HDMI 1.3 cable, and isn't supported with DVI. So logically, some of those wouldn't necessarily apply, and in other cases, those options are already controlled or set by the source (such as a video card, etc) that might be available if you change the settings on the video card. I can't give specifics, since each video card is different, but that's the general idea.

2. Right, and that's the point. Your Blu-Ray player will use different settings than your cable/sat box. That way, you don't have to tune your settings each time you switch inputs. I think that's a general industry standard, but I'm not sure. But it is a benefit.

3. Good news. Again, reverting back to point 1, some of those options become available, and are dependent on either the signal, the connection cable type, or both.

4. HDMI-1 for most models is a HDMI/DVI hybrid jack, meaning that options are available for both. Subsequently, since HDMI-2 (and 3 and 4) aren't hybrids, the same options may not be available on those inputs. In the case of HDMI Black Levels, Normal is limited range, and applies to most devices, including game consoles and DVD players. Full range devices allow you to adjust to the "Low" setting, although adjusting the brightness and gamma can usually give you the same result. Why the other port isn't seeing it as full range, and HDMI-1 or the PC input is, I don't know. But I'd work around with the settings if you're looking for that extra dark picture.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, HDTech! Appreciate your quick replies!

- Collapse -
Thanks!

jeetkunejoe,

Happy to help. Happy

--HDTech

- Collapse -
One more question

Hi HDTech,

Thought of one more question Happy

Are there any settings when the tv is in "DVI PC" mode that I can't replicate using the settings available under HDMI2? When under HDMI2, "DVI PC" simply acts as a label, while under HDMI1/DVI, "DVI PC" actually makes some noticeable setting changes and grays out a few options. I want to replicate these under a different HDMI input. Are there any hidden back end changes that the user will not be able to replicate under HDMI2-4?

Thanks!

- Collapse -
One more question

jeetkunejoe,

I'm not sure I'm following why you would change it. The DVI PC mode would disable some features, but those features would be pertinent to the HDMI standard. I'd be surprised to learn that one port acts differently than another, but I've not personally tested this sort of scenario, so I'm not sure.

I don't believe there should be much difference in picture settings, except that the HDMI-1 is the "assigned" DVI port. Since DVI doesn't carry audio, HDMI-1 offers the ability to attach an audio source along with the DVI input. The other HDMI inputs do not have a place to attach an audio source directly into the TV.

So that said, you COULD attach DVI to the other inputs. But then you'd have to route your audio to a receiver or separate audio source rather than into the TV.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Reason for "DVI PC" mode

Hi HDTech,

The reason I'd want to change the input label is because I've read on a couple of discussion boards that the "DVI PC" label disables some post processing that the TV does and reduces lag when playing games. When I changed the label of HDMI1 to "DVI PC" I did notice a change in the picture and motion in games that I was not able to reproduce with the same settings on another label. I wanted to verify with you if the statements about "DVI PC" on HDMI1 were indeed true and if those setting could be replicated on another HDMI input (or are there changes made not accessible to the user).

I watch movies and game on my HTPC so I wanted to do this:
1. Onboard video (for watching movies): Attached to HDMI1 with a label of "DVI" so I can keep the "HDMI Black Level" option
2. Discrete graphics card: Attached to HDMI2 with the same settings as "DVI PC" on HDMI1

I know 1 is possible, but is 2 possible?

--Thanks

- Collapse -
Reason for "DVI PC" mode

jeetkunejoe,

The "Game" option disables a lot of the additional processing to reduce lag. Outside of that, I'd have no idea how the other "edit" options adjust the processing, or what options are disabled. They are designed to be more "friendly" to accept a wide range of input options, and those tweaks allow those devices to connect.

But I don't have any way of knowing - or explaining - exactly HOW those changes work or vary. They can also vary based on the source, video card, or any number of variables to explain why (a) might work in one setting and (b) might not in another.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Thanks again

Hi HDTech,

Makes sense. I'll work with what I can here and try to figure out the best setup for my situation. Thanks again for the help!

CNET Forums

Forum Info