Phones forum

General discussion Mail in Rebate SCAM system

by alfaorg / January 24, 2006 10:43 PM PST

In Jan 2005 took over the wireless internet business! They bought all the online competitors with one exception. At this moment if you buy from,,,, and many other small sites you practically buying from
Once the competition was killed the customer service practically disappeared!

The mail in rebate system they practice:

You can file only after 180 days but NO later then 210 days! Probably they hope you loose the papers or forget

In my case:
I filled the rebates after 185 days (Dec 17 2005)
On Jan 16th 2006 I went online at the check the status. Wasn't available because ?probably was lost in the mail?. After I sent them back an e-mail where I expressed my concern about 7 different rebates lost in the mail ( I had 7 diff. envelopes with diff rebates)I received this e-mail:
"Thank you for submitting your recent Mail-In Rebate Application. We have reviewed your claim and discovered that it is invalid for the following reason(s):

The wireless bill(s) we received is invalid"
My bill was dated Dec 10th so is nothing wrong with it!
This answer came after 217 days so in conformation with their rules you can't file again.
Everything is a SCAM. They owe me $650 and
I personally am going to take the case to a Small Claim Court and I am going to hire an attorney to make sure their fees are going to triple.

Again: is a big SCAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mail in Rebate SCAM system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mail in Rebate SCAM system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
T-Mobile and InPhonics Rebate Fraud
by pulseins / January 25, 2006 3:03 AM PST

I have been fighting InPhonics for six months now on the same issue. Type T-Mobile Rebate Fraud or Inphonics Rebate Fraud into Google and you find there are thousands of people who have been stiffed in this same manner. I am persistent though and I will get the money from them. T-Mobile states they are just the cell phone carrier and not the dealer. My argument that they contracted with the dealer did not go far.

Collapse -
T-Mobile should stepuo for the agent they paid..
by amsco / February 8, 2006 5:26 AM PST

T-Mobile did pay Inphonic for your contract so they are in direct line to make good on what ever INPHONIC said they would do for you.. But do you think T-Mobile is any better then INPHONIC.... I think they will not step up unless they are part of a class action sued...

Collapse -
Sounds like a mix-up - send me an email
by ddennis-from-wirefly / January 25, 2006 6:05 AM PST

Hi alfaorg,
send me an email with your order number and I'll see what happened.

Collapse -
Don't believe it
by pulseins / January 25, 2006 6:36 AM PST

Just check on the internet all of the people who have been scammed by InPhonics / Wirefly or whatever else they call themselves. I have been in contact with the Presidents office at took months to find the number to reach them but I did and they listened...they are just as disgruntled now with InPhonics after I pointed them to the internet and had them search for InPhonics and fraud. They saw my point and have turned it over to their legal department and are going to take action. I remain in contact with them to assure they do.

I am in contact with several govenrmental agencies, it may take some time but you can't be this blatantly dishonest and remain in business.

Collapse -
by amsco / February 8, 2006 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Don't believe it

I would like to find out more I also have T-mobile looking into this matter as well as ATT. Gen in three states and the Postmaster Gen...
So keep me in the loop, ....
I hope you did not count on "DO NOTHING DOREEN" SHE WORKS FOR THE BOSS UNDER THE BIG BOSS Ms J. kemp, the one that says who gets rebate and who will not,, She part of the scarm to slow down the action...

Collapse -
by amsco / February 8, 2006 5:42 AM PST

Doreen you work for inphonic the great internet rebate RIP-OFF , You must work for the buck stops here MS.J. Kemp, that has all the last say on who will get and who will no get the rebate that your company had said they would recive... So we all know just how much help you will be your just part of the SCAM you are paid by the ones that have RIP-OFF our money given to them by the cell phone company.. So just what can you do NOTHING go talk to your leader MS.J. KEMP, she let you know what to say...Get real how long do you think you can play the same scam before you must answer for your fraud.....Thank you

Collapse -
scam scam scam
by greekgodmachine / February 3, 2006 3:24 PM PST

hey if you got an error postcard in the mail, if they sent one out
you have 30 days to correct this
so call them, ask them what they need and how much time you have
they'll tell you
they'll help you
and for the love of god
be nice
they are humans on the phone, humans with lives and jobs they keep them hovering over the poverty line and they get screwed around day to day just like any other human, besides screaming at them accomplishes nothing, they have no power... they dont make the rules, they just follow them, or get fired

Collapse -
by pulseins / February 4, 2006 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: scam scam scam

I have poked around to the 35 posts made by greekgodmachine and they are in defense of the scam perpetrated by InPhonics etc. Obviously works there and is part of the system. Sorry O have had jobs where I had to treat people indecent. I left those jobs and cannot defend their actions.

Collapse -
by amsco / February 8, 2006 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: scam scam scam

Yes they are people that work for a company that is the king of REBATES RIP-OFFS they knew just what they work and how many are RIP-OFF but they stay so they are no better then the ones that are doing the stealing....

Collapse -
180 days is CARRIER policy not InPhonic
by ddennis-from-wirefly / February 10, 2006 3:01 AM PST

The 180-day wait time matches the policies of the carriers.

The authorized agent does not get paid and is out the entire cost of the phone if the carrier won't/can't confirm that you are still a customer. We can't afford to pay out a rebate if we don't get the commission from the carrier, which isn't finalized until 6 months after activation.

Hope that clears some things up. We don't like it either, but this isn't up to us.

Collapse -
Another crying FOUL
by larrydean3000 / February 16, 2006 3:03 PM PST

This is to ddennis at wirefly.
First, don't show a Motorola Bluetooth headset which you value on your site at 74.95 as an incentive and deliver a cheap Planatronics headset instead. All of your ad's show one thing, and you deliver something else...Then if we look reallllll hard in the fine print,,,you say we may not get the product you show in your ads. Then when we call to complain, your computers are always down. Now I'm playing the waiting game as so many others are on this chat forum, (of which I will be another unhappy customer writing to the world shortly) for my rebate.....
Got my phones (family plan) 08-27-05.
Sent Rebate by certified letter 11-29-05.....
Still waiting on my $ 400.00 Rebate....

YOU HAVE TO BE MORE HONEST ABOUT YOUR ADVERTISING AND CLEAR CONCERNING REBATES. There are thousands of us reading these issues,,,and now I seem to be another dis=satisfied customer just waiting for the legal battle to start.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?