Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

inpage operation error

by rboughtn / May 25, 2005 4:57 AM PDT

Hi,

The short story is I have a 12G laptop hard drive that I am trying to get data off of as I could not boot or read the drive in the laptop. I have connected the drive as a slave to my desktop, which recognised it no problems. When I click on drive icon to try and see any data, it grinds away and then gives me an INPAGE Operation error. Any suggestions?

Cheers and thanks,

Raoul

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: inpage operation error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: inpage operation error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is worth reading a former discussion on this page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: inpage operation error

I see its still visible but the short version is Windows 2000 may indeed do that error if the volume is in less than pristine condition.

But how to get the data out? That was discussed as well and came down to 2 methods, both of which used the KNOPPIX CD. Since you can use Google, I won't duplicate the discussion about Knoppix and cut to the solutions.

1. Place the old drive as master on the secondary IDE channel and a FAT32 formatted volume as master on the primary with a slave CDROM drive. Boot up KNOPPIX and explore both drives and copy your files out.

2. Place the old drive as master on the primary IDE channel and the CDROM drive on the secondary, boot KNOPPIX and copy your files out to a network share. Hint: Noted at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm along with use of K3b

I offer NO CURE for the Windows 2000 fault. You can call it in to Microsoft Support if you wish, but the articles we used don't hold much hope.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Thankyou for your reply
by rboughtn / May 25, 2005 11:42 PM PDT

I will certainly try the solutions suggested. I will go and read the full knoppix discussions before asking any more ignorant questions. I will keep the forum up to date with the progress.

Thankyou kindly,

Raoul

Collapse -
why FAT32 and NTFS
by rboughtn / May 25, 2005 11:49 PM PDT

Bob,

I am a curious individal and was wondering why you specifically suggest a FAT32 volume in the first solution.

Cheers,

Raoul

Collapse -
Because you can write FAT32 without being an
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2005 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: why FAT32 and NTFS

"linux expert."

Collapse -
hung-up while knoppix is scanning for hard disk and creating
by rboughtn / May 27, 2005 3:15 AM PDT

OK! I have knoppix and boots up fine if I don't have the laptop harddrive connected. When I do it tries to scan for harddisk partitions and the hard drive just seems to hangup and knoppix goes nowhere for a longtime. Eventually I get a message done.

Eventually knoppix starts but the partition created for the harddrive is not mountable. In other words I don't seem to be able to explore it.

Any clues or am I fried?

Thanks,

Raoul

Collapse -
Only if you don't have any backups.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2005 3:25 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?