Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Inordinate number of Admin account folders

In my c:\Documents and Settings, there are 17 (seventeen) Administrator account folders in addition to my own account, All Users, and Default User. I've run System Restore quite a few times over the past year, so could this have anything to do with it or is something wrong here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inordinate number of Admin account folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inordinate number of Admin account folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
info

In reply to: Inordinate number of Admin account folders

All those folders cannot be called Administrator
They either have different names, or you are referring to accounts that have administrator rights.

More details might help. Also, how many accounts are showing on your login screen? How many show in the USERS area of Control Panel?

They could be created by a virus or spyware. You could one at a time, try to rename the folder. If it is a real windows folder, you will not be allowed to rename it, if it is not being used by the OS you will be able to rename it.

Don't try to rename your own folder, regardless. If there is a glitch you could get locked out of windows.
Don't rename the "administrator" account either.

Collapse -
Slightly different names

In reply to: info

The names of the folders go like this:
Administrator
Administrator.MYPC
Administrator.MYPC.000
Administrator.MYPC.001

sequentially through to

Administrator.MYPC.014
All Users
Default User (hidden)
then a folder with my own logon name

At the actual logon screen I have my own logon only.
No spyware or virus has ever been detected on my machine when I scan with Norton AV (I have the Norton Internet Security suite) or when I scan with AdAwareSE.
I am able to rename the folders with the numeric endings. I didn't attempt it with the others. I'm wondering if the additional folders were put there due to multiple System Restores, since the hidden Administrator account is password protected and I have to run all the System Restore functions from the Administrator account while in safe mode.

Collapse -
Ahh, that's a known issue.

In reply to: Slightly different names

If the Full Control permissions to your profile folder are played with, in the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings folder, Windows 2000 and Windows XP will create a new one the next time you log on. The new profile is named:

UserName - if the older profile was deleted.
UserName.ComputerName - if the old profile exists.
UserName.ComputerName.000 - if UserName.ComputerName exists.
UserName.ComputerName.001 - if UserName.ComputerName.000 exists.

Above explains how the names are arrived at.

Below are some links on how to recover and/or remove what's not needed.

Duplicate profile folders exist under the "Documents and Settings" folder
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/restprofile.htm

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314045

How do I recovery a lost local user profile?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4631.htm

I vague recall this on some user's machine that they were fighting XP's way of permissions and user directories. My advice was for them to stop before they really broke it.

Bob

Collapse -
Please explain...

In reply to: Ahh, that's a known issue.

You said, "If the Full Control permissions to your profile folder are played with, in the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings folder, Windows 2000 and Windows XP will create a new one the next time you log on."

I never deliberately tinkered with any permissions within any part of my file system. Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but do you mean that every time I do a System Restore another folder will be created?

Collapse -
Sorry, no tutorial.

In reply to: Please explain...

NTFS permissions if incorrect can lead to this. It doesn't happen unless something causes it. That is, it's not caused by a bug in the OS.

The articles can help you clean up and see if it keeps happening.

Bob

Collapse -
Not asking for a tutorial!

In reply to: Sorry, no tutorial.

That was a good cryptic answer. You should work for Symantec.
I had asked if this would occur everytime I do a System Restore (bearing in mind that the hidden Admin account is password protected which causes me to do all System Restore functions via the Admin account in safe mode).

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Not asking for a tutorial!

In short no. It is not caused by the OS unless the condition noted was caused by the owner or something they did or allowed.

Hope that helps,

Some want a tutorial about NTFS permissions but I'll skip that for a very simple reason. There are plenty of web sites that you can read about that or.. you can find a good book.

Some don't like that, but I don't duplicate ready web content. I offered my insight since it appeared to me that no one had offered you why this happens.

Bob

Collapse -
I appreciate it

In reply to: No.

I appreciate the insight, Bob.
The only thing I would have done to cause this was to password-protect the hidden Administrator account. I did this because I was advised it was a prudent thing to do. I have not fooled around with any sort of permissions in the NTFS. Do you think that a hacker might have anything to gain by doing this? Just wondering.

Collapse -
About a hack.

In reply to: I appreciate it

Sorry, but the only time I encountered this was due to owner endeavors.

1. They were "adjusting" file and directory permissions.

2. The drive had been cloned and the extra account showed up. For this one I tracked it back to some very old version of clone software. That was a toughy since the owner wasn't available to answer how the drive was recently replaced but files and OS looked well used.

If it's a trojan then we need to know the name. I'm finding Free AVG AntiSpyware to cough up some trojans other scanners miss as well as Housecall.

Bob

Collapse -
AVG Antispyware

In reply to: About a hack.

Do you know if AVG Antispyware will conflict with Norton Internet Security? I checked out Grisoft's page and it doesn't say. If not, I'll try it.
Also, with regard to changing NTFS file permissions, I have to tell you that I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. If they got changed it wasn't due to me, and I'm the only one who uses my computer.
Something tells me this is being caused by Norton. I checked the following article:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_symantecdoc1.html

I found that I was getting the message that my restores were incomplete when I would do it through my own account (which is an account with Administrator rights), however I could log on to the hidden Admin account and complete a successful System Restore.

Collapse -
It does fine.

In reply to: AVG Antispyware

It's one of the few that does.

Bob

Collapse -
Anyone else?

In reply to: info

Does anyone know anything more than what Bob is willing to divulge regarding this problem?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.